Call for Art: The Great Spring Art Hop at Cheekwood
Cheekwood Estate & Gardens is accepting applications from Nashville artists to participate in The Great Spring Art Hop, a spring festival at Cheekwood on April 7 & 8, 2023. The event will feature a scavenger hunt of rabbit sculptures decorated and/or painted by selected artists. Entry submission deadline is February 12, 2023.
Up to ten artists will be selected to participate. Artwork will be displayed in various indoor and outdoor locations at Cheekwood during the event. Cheekwood will consult with each selected artist to determine the final location of each sculpture. Selected artists will be awarded an honorarium of $200 and receive admission to the event.
• All visual artists 18 and older who work or live in the Nashville area are eligible to apply.
• Works created in 2-D art and craft media (oil, acrylic, tempera, paper, etc.) and methods (painting, drawing, collage, photography, printmaking, etc.) will be considered.
• Artwork must require no maintenance throughout the duration of the event. The surface of the sculpture must be secure.
• Artwork must be sturdy, durable, and able to withstand temperature and weather fluctuations as some sculptures will be installed outdoors.
• Artists may submit up to two (2) different entries for consideration. Each entry requires its own application.
• Artists must use the template provided in the Submission Procedure section below to guide the design of their entry proposal. Please note the template is two-sided; selected artists will be able to choose a location that is fitted for either two-sided or one-sided display.
• Entries should accurately depict the final artwork to be created.
• All designs and final products must be of original work.
• Artists should keep in mind these sculptures will be seen from a distance and close-up details may not translate well.
• Artwork must be family friendly. Profanity or inappropriate language, depictions of violence, hateful and derogatory content, drug-related content, nudity and sensuality, depictions of sexual activity, and other adult themes or activities will not be considered.
• Artists must include a short artwork description and artist statement with each entry.
There is no entry fee.
Please download the template for your submission(s) here. Template scale is approximate; final size will be 3’x2.5’.
To submit an entry, applicants must complete the form below.
Entry Deadline: Sunday, February 12, 2023
• Complete applications must be submitted by Sunday, February 12 at 12:00 PM (CST). You are encouraged to submit in advance of this date. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Letter of Notification: Friday, February 17, 2023
• Letters of acceptance or rejection will be emailed to all applicants on Friday, February 17. Please ensure you submit a correct email with your application.
Supply Pick Up: Monday, February 20 + Tuesday, February 21
• Selected artists will pick up a plywood bunny from Cheekwood on Monday, February 20th or Tuesday, February 21st between 9 AM – 5 PM. Pick up arrangements must be confirmed with Education staff. Artists will also be able to choose their bunny’s location at this time on a first-come, first-served basis.
Artwork Drop Off: Monday, March 13
• Selected artists will drop off completed artwork to Cheekwood by Monday, March 13th at 5:00 PM (CST). Drop-off arrangements must be confirmed with Education staff.
The Great Spring Art Hunt: Friday, April 7 and Saturday, April 8, 9 AM – 5 PM
*Call for Art and Event schedule and related components may be subject to change.
Entries will be juried by a Cheekwood committee. Artwork will be selected based on artistic merit, event context, and suitability for public display. The Committee reserves the right to reject any applications that do not meet eligibility or entry requirements or are incomplete.
Selected artists will receive an honorarium of $200 to offset costs associated with artwork production and travel. Honorarium will be payable after completion of drop-off. Selected artists will also receive admission to the event. A contract of participation must be signed, acknowledging that completed artwork becomes property of Cheekwood upon drop-off. A W-9 must be provided to Cheekwood at the time of contracting.
Marketing and Promotion
Cheekwood Estate & Gardens reserves the right to reproduce and distribute artwork images through print and electronic media for promotion of this event. This includes images submitted through the application process and photos taken before and during the event. The artist retains the copyright of the artwork.
Please email email@example.com for questions.