Exposition of Elegance 2022

Photo of classic cars driving into Cheekwood

Saturday, June 18

9 AM –5 PM

Map of Classic Car locations 2022

Sunday, June 19

9 AM – 4 PM

4PM | Tour D’Elegance through the streets of the City of Belle Meade | Cars will begin lining up at 3:30 and will depart Cheekwood at 4:00 pm
Click here to download a pdf of the map for the Tour d’Elegance 

 

Dream Cars of the Baby Boom Era

Baby Boomers were the first generation who grew up viewing cars as a basic necessity rather than a luxury, and as an essential part of their identity. Automobile manufacturers wasted little time in responding to demand. By the time the first Boomers started reaching driving age, Detroit was providing an array of attractive options with ambitious styling and serious “muscle.” As part of our Exposition of Elegance: Classic Cars at Cheekwood, we present a small selection of the cars that populated the dreams of a generation.

 

  • 1. 1968 Cadillac Coupe de Ville Convertible

    The name “de Ville” is derived from the French de la ville or de ville meaning “of the town.” In French coach building parlance, a coupé de ville, from the French couper (to cut) i.e., shorten or reduce, was a short four-wheeled closed carriage with an inside seat for two and an outside seat for the driver and this smaller vehicle was intended for use in the town or city (de ville).

    The first Cadillac Coupe de Ville was shown during the 1949 Motorama. In 1968, grilles had an insert with finer mesh and step-down outer section which held the rectangular parking lights just a little higher than before. Rear end styling was modestly altered with the deck lid having more of a rake. The most obvious change was an 8.5-inch-longer hood designed to accommodate recessed windshield wiper-washers, which now came with three speeds standard. Of 20 exterior paint color combinations, 14 were totally new. On the inside enriched appointments included molded inner door panels with illuminated reflectors and a selection of 147 upholstery combinations, 76 in cloth, 67 in leather and four in vinyl. New standard features included a Light Group, a Mirror Group, a trip odometer, and an ignition key warning buzzer. The Coupe de Ville also gained a new 472 cu in (7,730 cc) V8 engine rated at 375 hp (SAE gross). 1968 was also the last year for the “stacked” dual headlights, which were replaced with side-by-side dual headlights in 1969. This was also the last year for vent windows. Side marker lights in the rear bumper as well as front fender were also added. Side mirror changed from a round to rectangular shape. Also, of note front disc brakes were available starting in 1968. Cars built after January 1, 1968, got front shoulder belts per Federal safety standards.

    This Coupe de Ville was repainted San Mateo Red in 2019, during a restoration of all body work and trim. San Mateo Red is the original red Cadillac used in 1968. Cadillac is the only company to use this specific color and it was only used in 1968. Cadillac built about 18,000 convertible Deville’s in 1968. While not overly rare, it is iconic and has been featured in films including A Bronx Tale, Planet Terror, Good Fellas, Scarface, The Help, 2 Fast 2 Furious, and many others.

    Owned by Nelson Andrews, Brentwood, TN

  • 2. 1967 Ford Thunderbird Landau Sedan

    The fifth generation of the Ford Thunderbird is a large personal luxury car that was produced by Ford for the 1967 to 1971 model years. This fifth generation saw the second major change of direction for the Thunderbird. The Thunderbird had fundamentally remained the same in concept through 1966, even though the styling had been updated twice.

    For 1967 the Thunderbird would be a larger car, moving it closer to Lincoln as the company chose to emphasize the “luxury” part of the “personal luxury car” designation. Ford decided to abandon the Thunderbird’s traditional unibody construction for this larger car, turning to a body-on-frame method with sophisticated rubber mountings between the two to improve noise/vibration characteristics and reduce weight by a small margin.

    The 1967 design was radically different from what came before. Ford’s stylists delivered a radical shape that in many ways anticipated the styling trends of the next five years. A gaping wide “fishmouth” front grille that incorporated hidden headlights was the most obvious new feature. The look was clearly influenced by the air intakes on jet fighters such as the F-100 Super Sabre, and was enhanced by the flush-fitting front bumper incorporating the bottom “lip” of the “mouth”.

    In contrast to the radically different exterior the new interior carried over nearly all of the themes established by the previous generation; most notably a dash panel with separately housed instruments along with a downward sweeping/integrated center console and a wraparound rear seat/”lounge”.

    Dishner-Putnam Family Collection

     

  • 3. 1964 Corvette Convertible

    The Chevrolet Corvette (C2) is the second generation of the Chevrolet Corvette sports car, produced by the Chevrolet division of General Motors for the 1963 to 1967 model years.  For 1964 Chevrolet made only evolutionary changes to the Corvette. The decorative air-exhaust vent on the coupe’s rear pillar was made functional, but only on the left side. The car’s rocker-panel trim lost some of its ribs and gained black paint between those ribs that remained, wheel covers were simplified, and the fuel filler/deck emblem gained concentric circles around its crossed-flags insignia. Inside, the original color-keyed steering wheel rim was now done in simulated walnut.

    Motor Trend timed a 1964 fuel-injected four-speed coupe with the 4.11:1 rear axle, aluminum knock-off wheels, perfected at last and available from the factory), the sintered-metallic brakes, and Positraction through the quarter mile in 14.2 seconds at 100 mph and the 0 to 60 mph in 5.6 seconds.

    Road & Track tested the 300-bhp Powerglide automatic setup in a 1964 coupe and recorded a 0–60 mph time of 8.0 seconds, a quarter mile in 15.2 seconds at 85 mph, and average fuel consumption of 14.8 mpg.

    This Corvette was purchased in 1975 by Bill Presley from the car’s third owner and, at the time, was white with a tangerine strip. Presley rebuilt the engine, transmission and drivetrain over the next year and continued to drive the car until 1979. Following a 20-year period of being garaged, the Corvette underwent a full restoration, including a return to the Riverside Red paint, at Automotive Expertise in Huntington Beach, CA. Today the car and owner reside in Nashville and they are enjoying the ride again.

    Owned by Bill Presley

  • 4. 1960 Ford Thunderbird Coupe

     The Ford Thunderbird (colloquially called the T-Bird) is a personal luxury car produced by Ford from model years 1955 until 1997 and 2002 until 2005 throughout 11 distinct generations. Introduced as a two-seat convertible, the Thunderbird was produced in a variety of body configurations.

    Ford positioned the Thunderbird as an upscale model and it is credited in developing a new market segment, the personal luxury car. An American interpretation of the grand tourer, personal luxury cars were built with a higher emphasis on driving comfort and convenience features over handling and high-speed performance.

    The Thunderbird name was not among the thousands proposed, including rejected options such as Apache, Falcon, Eagle, Tropicale, Hawaiian, and Thunderbolt. A Ford stylist who had lived in the southwest submitted the Thunderbird name. The word “thunderbird” is a reference to a legendary creature for North American indigenous people. It is considered a supernatural bird of power and strength.

    For 1960, the Thunderbird was given a new grille and other minor styling changes along with a newly optional manually operated sunroof for hardtop models. Dual-unit round taillights from 1958 to 1959 were changed to triple-units after the fashion of the Chevrolet Impala. Sales increased again with 92,843 sold for 1960.

    Dishner-Putnam Family Collection

  • 5. 1958 Chevrolet Corvette Convertible

    Harley Earl, as head of GM’s Styling Section, was an avid fan of sporting cars. He recognized that GIs returning after serving overseas in the years following World War II were bringing home MGsJaguars, and Alfa Romeos.

    Earl convinced GM that they needed to build an all-American two-seat sports car, and with his Special Projects crew began working on the new car in late 1951. The secretive effort was code-named “Project Opel” after GM’s German division Opel. The result was the hand-built, EX-122 pre-production Corvette prototype, which was first shown to the public at the 1953 General Motors Motorama at the Waldorf-Astoria in New York City on January 17, 1953.

    In an era of chrome and four headlamps, the Corvette adapted to the look of the day. The 1958 model year and the four that followed all had the exposed four-headlamp treatment and prominent grilles, but a faux-louvered hood and chrome trunk spears were unique to 1958. The interior and instruments were updated, including placing a tachometer directly in front of the driver.

    This Corvette features the original 4-speed transmission and 283 V8. All wheels, hub caps, chrome pieces and drive train are original. The automobile has never been wrecked or damaged and went through a 2-year, full-body off restoration totaling $200,000.

    The Regal Turquoise color was a 1-year only color for 1958. Of the 9,168 Corvettes built in 1958, only 501 were finished in this color. The 1958 Chevrolet Corvette Convertible originally sold for $3,591.00

    Owned by Mark and Rhonda May

European Sporting Tradition

Since the time when mankind domesticated horses for transportation, we have felt a compulsion to race. In the early 20th century when we made the transition to vehicles powered by engines rather than animals, that compulsion only deepened. European manufacturers took the lead in the earliest days of automotive racing, creating cars that set the speed performance standard for the world. Today we are pleased to present a range of both pre-war and post-war European cars, including some genuinely historic examples, that dominated the racing world from the 1930’s through the 1950’s. Even those that never actually competed on the track bear the indelible mark of the racing tradition created at storied marques such as Bentley and Jaguar.

 

  • 6. 1976 Triumph TR6

    The Triumph TR6 is a sports car built by British Triumph Motor Company. The TR6 was introduced in January 1969 and produced until July 1976. All TR6s were powered by Triumph’s 2.5-litre straight-6, with a Lucas mechanical fuel-injection for the United Kingdom and global markets, and carburetted for the United States.

    In total, 94,619 TR6’s were produced, helped by strong sales in America. There were a few subtle differences between the European & American version of the cars, most notably the Lucas mechanical fuel injection system for Europe that often proved troublesome, contrasting with the far more reliable (but less powerful) carbureted version for America.

    All cars featured a 2.5 liter straight-six, coupled to a 4-speed manual transmission with an option for overdrive, capable of accelerating from 0-60 mph in 8.2 seconds, with an alleged top speed of 120mph (UK version).

    The TR6 enjoyed a reasonable production run, lasting seven years, ending in 1976 and being replaced by the TR7. It’s successor however was not seen to be quite as desirable, with its shape and lines controversial from the start.

    Owned by Rob McCabe

  • 7. 1974 Porsche 914 Limited Edition

    The Porsche 914 or VW-Porsche 914 is a mid-engine sports car designed, manufactured and marketed collaboratively by Volkswagen and Porsche from 1969 until 1976. It was only available as a Targa-topped two-seat roadster powered by either a flat-4 or flat-6 engine.

    Originally intending to sell the vehicle with a flat four-cylinder engine as a Volkswagen and with a flat six-cylinder engine as a Porsche, Porsche decided during development that having Volkswagen and Porsche models sharing the same body would be risky for business in the American market, and convinced Volkswagen to allow them to sell both versions as Porsches in North America.

    In 1974, Porsche produced a series of Limited-Edition cars for the North American market to commemorate Porsche’s victories in the Can Am racing series. They were equipped with individual color schemes and came standard with otherwise optional equipment. The factory is said to have produced about 1,000 of these vehicles, about 50% Bumblebee and 50% Creamsicle. Variants of this series were manufactured and distributed in very limited numbers to European markets and Japan.

    The primary distinguishing feature of the 914 LE cars is their exterior paint schemes. When comparing Can Am racing car color schemes to the limited production 914 LE cars, there is no direct correlation. But the spirit of the racing cars was captured by the application of striking color contrasts using standard 914 Porsche colors, with bold accent color statements and specially-designed side stripes. Two unique color schemes were produced featuring a main body color, with wheel centers, bumpers, negative side stripes and valences in contrasting accent colors.

    Owned By Mike Gillespie

  • 8. 1972 Ferrari Dino 246 GT

     The name Dino honors Ferrari founder Enzo Ferrari‘s late son, Alfredo “Dino” Ferrari, credited with designing the V6 engine used in the car. Along with engineer Vittorio Jano, Alfredo persuaded his father to produce a line of racing cars in the 1950s with V6 and V8 engines. The Dino script that adorns the badge and cylinder head covers was based on Alfredo’s own signature.

    The European version of the 246 GT was identified by its turn signal lamps, which were flush with the bodywork. Most of the time, these lenses were clear. The European cars also had redundant turn signals—which were small, round, and amber—mounted on the sides of the front fenders. Chassis numbers were stamped on a tag on the windshield pillar, but it’s important to note that these are often missing.

    In 1969 the 206 GT was superseded by the more powerful Dino 246 GT. The 246 GT was powered by an enlarged 2,419.20 cc (147.6 cu in; 2.4 L) V6 engine, producing 195 PS (143 kW; 192 hp) at 7,600 rpm in European specification. Initially available as a fixed-top GT coupé, a targa topped GTS was also offered after 1971.

    Other notable changes from the 206 were the body, now made of steel instead of aluminium, and a 60 mm (2.4 in) longer wheelbase than the 206. Three series of the Dino 246 GT were built, with differences in wheels, windshield wiper coverage, and engine ventilation. Dino 246 production numbered 2,295 GTs and 1,274 GTSs, for a total production run of 3,569.

    Owned by Tim Bowles

  • 9. 1965 Triumph TR4A

    The Triumph TR4A is a sports car built by the Triumph Motor Company at its Coventry factory in the United Kingdom between 1965 and 1967. The TR4A was an evolution of the Giovanni Michelotti styled TR4. The car was favorably received for its overall performance and many amenities.

    The TR4A used the same long-stroke, high-torque Standard four-cylinder wet-sleeve engine seen in the TR4. While the bore, stroke, and displacement remained the same, changes to the cylinder head and manifolds raised net power to 104 bhp (78 kW) and torque to 132 lb⋅ft (179 N⋅m), an increase of 10 percent.

    28,465 4A models were built during the production run and were priced at $2,900. The TR4A continued to offer the “Surrey Top” hard top system as an option. This weather protection system comprises a rigid rear back light, a removable rigid roof panel and a soft fabric panel that was the actual surrey-top. The back light is attached to the rear of the passenger area semi-permanently. Either the roof panel or the soft surrey top bridge the gap between the top of the windshield surround and the top of the back light. This aesthetically foreshadowed the silhouette of Targa top cars.

    Owned by Andy Lees

  • 10. 1965 Porsche 356C Cabriolet

    Except for ten Cabriolets built in 1966, 1965 was the last year that Porsche made the 356. This number matching Signal Red example is number 146 of 588 Cabriolets that Porsche built in 1965 with all original body panels, engine, and transmission.

    The current owner purchased the car in 1988. The car underwent an extensive eleven month rebuild and repaint in 2015 by Matt Froehlich of Better Bodys in Edgewater, FL. The top, headliner and seats were rebuilt by Autos International in California. The engine and transmission were rebuilt by Jim Watson of Lewisburg, TN in 1995 and now has about 15,000 miles of service.

    Every effort has been made to keep the car in original condition with original parts. The glass, wheels, painted dashboard, dash pad, interior panels and trim are originalas are most of the exterior trim pieces.

    Owned by Nate Greene

  • 11. 1964 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sprint Speciale

    Alfa Romeo Automobiles is an Italian luxury car manufacturer and was founded on June 24, 1910, in Milan, Italy. “Alfa” is an acronym of its founding name, “Anonima Lombarda Fabbrica Automobili.” “Anonima” means “anonymous”, which was a legal form of company at the time, as it was founded by anonymous investors.

    The Giulia Sprint Speciale was created in 1959 to be a more aerodynamic version of the Giulietta, for racing; powered by the very capable and sophisticated Alfa Romeo DOHC inline 4-cylinder. Also, it is one of the most elegantly designed sports cars of all time. Inspiration for these attractive little cars is drawn from the sleek Carrozzeria Touring “Disco Volante” racing cars from the early 50’s, along with Bertone’s futuristic Berlina Aerodinamica Technica (BAT) experimental show cars. The design of the Giulia Sprint Speciale was penned by Franco Scalione of Bertone and was one of the most radical designs constructed for an Alfa Romeo Road car, then and still.

    Their noses were low, and they remained without bumpers like the concept. There was a purpose to the smooth minimalism, however: the reduction of drag. With a drag coefficient of .28, it was as slippery as a Corvette from 2010.

    Alfa Romeo fitted a larger engine — a 1.6-liter inline-four (112 hp), changed the brakes from drums to discs at the front, and slightly revised the dashboard. Given this “new” car was more grown up than its older sibling, the name changed to Giulia Sprint Speciale.

    The new Giulietta remained in production through 1965, and a total of 1,400 larger engine examples were completed.

    Owned by Somer and Loyce Hooker

  • 12. 1955 Austin Healey 100M

    The Austin-Healey 100M was a Special Production model made in 1955 and 1956. The 640 cars produced over the two years are now legendary for their racing and rally successes.

    Based on Austin A90 Atlantic mechanicals, the 100M was developed by Donald Healey to be produced in-house by his small Healey car company in Warwick, a market town in Warwickshire, England.

    The high-performance 100M model was introduced in 1955 with larger carburetors, a cold air box to increase engine air flow, high-lift camshaft and 8.1:1 compression piston. It produced 110 bhp (82 kW) at 4500 rpm. The front suspension was stiffened, and the bonnet gained louvres, along with a bonnet belt. Approximately 70% of 100Ms were finished with a two-tone paint scheme, including one White over Red and another in Black over Pink for display at the 1955 London Motor Show. In all, 640 100Ms were built by the factory.

    Owned by Mike Cronin, Nashville, TN

  • 13. 1954 Simca Weekend Prototype

    The origins of Simca date back to 1922 when Teodoro Enrico Pigozzi was sent to France to buy scrap metal for the FIAT works. Instead, he settled in France, was appointed FIAT’s main distributor, and began manufacturing cars in 1928. Early post-war Simcas followed the FIAT theme. In 1954Simca’s purchase of Ford France allowed them to enter a more expensive market and they began building cars with complete autonomy from FIAT. The Simca Aronde comes from the French word for “swallow” (the bird). This car, based on an Aronde chassis, was the prototype for the “Weekend” two door convertible. This is the actual car given to Brigitte Bardot for promotional purposes. Miss Bardot did advertising for Simca with this car and owned it for many years. The aluminum and steel body was hand made by the Coach Building Company, Facel. It carries serial number 001.

    Specifications

    • • Manufacturer:Sté Industrielle de Mécanique et Carrosserie Automobile (S.I.M.C.A.)
    • • Country of Origin:France
    • • Engine:1290cc, 4 cylinder, water cooled, 45 hp
    • • Top Speed:81 miles per hour
    • • Years of Production:1955-1956
    • • Number Produced:1
    • • Original Cost:1,048,000 French Franks

    Owned by Lane Motor Museum

  • 14. 1953 Nash-Healey Le Mans Coupe

    The Nash-Healey is a two-seat luxury sports car or gran turismo produced between 1951 and 1954 and marketed by the automaker Nash-Kelvinator as a halo vehicle to promote sales of the other Nash models in North America.

    A mating of the upscale Nash Ambassador drivetrain and a handmade European chassis and body, it was the first sports car introduced in the U.S. by a major automaker since the Great Depression. It was the product of the partnership between Nash-Kelvinator and British automaker Donald Healey. Only a year after introduction the car received some styling tweaks by Pinin Farina and subassembly began in Italy.

    The 1953 model year saw the introduction of a new closed coupé. Capitalizing on the 3rd-place finish at Le Mans by a lightweight racing Nash-Healey purpose-built for the race, the new model was called the “Le Mans” coupé.

    Leveraging the popularity of golf to promote their cars, Nash Motors and Nash dealers sponsored what the automaker described as “more than 20 major golf tournaments across the country” in 1953, and golfer Sam Snead was shown with his Nash-Healey roadster on the cover of the June 1953 issue of Nash News.

    This Nash-Healey has an American engine, English chassis and Italian coachwork. A rare car – a total of 506 Nash-Healeys were produced between 1952 and 1954, and of those only about 150 were coupes, the rest being roadsters.  This coupe was the fifth one built.

    Owned by Randy Bibb

  • 15. 1952 Jaguar C- Type

    The Jaguar C-Type, officially called the Jaguar XK120-C, is a racing sports car built by Jaguar and sold from 1951 to 1953. The “C” stands for “competition”. The road-going XK120’s 3.4-litre twin-camstraight-6 engine produced between 160 and 180 bhp and was devoid of road-going items such as carpets, weather equipment and exterior door handles.

    The car combined the running gear of the contemporary, road-proven XK120, with a lightweight tubular frame and an aerodynamic aluminum body. A total of 53 C-Types were built, 43 of which were sold to private owners, mainly in the US. When new, the car sold for about $6,000, approximately twice the price of an XK120.

    The C-Type was successful in racing, most notably at the Le Mans 24 hours race, which it won twice. In 1951, the car won at its first attempt. In 1952, Jaguar, worried by a report about the speed of the Mercedes-Benz 300SLs that would run at Le Mans, modified the C-Type’s aerodynamics to increase the top speed.

    Owned by Robert Hall, Cookeville, TN

  • 16. 1952 Jaguar XK 120 Super Sport Roadster

    The Jaguar XK120 is a roadster sports car manufactured by Jaguar between 1948 and 1954. It was Jaguar’s first sports car since SS 100 production ended in 1939. The XK120 was ultimately available in three versions or body styles, first as an open 2-seater described in the US market as a roadster (OTS) then as a fixed head coupé (FHC) from 1951 and finally as a drophead coupé (DHC) from 1953. Beginning with the 1950 model year, all subsequent XK120s were mass-produced with pressed-steel bodies.

    With a high-temperature, high-strength aluminum alloy cylinder headhemispherical combustion chambers, inclined valves[9] and twin side-draft SU carburetors, the dual overhead-cam 3.4 L straight-6 XK engine was highly advanced for a mass-produced unit of the time.

    All XK120s had independent Heynes designed torsion bar front suspension, semi-elliptic leaf springs at the rear, recirculating ball steering, telescopically adjustable steering column, and all-round 12-inch drum brakes

    The open two-seater’s lightweight canvas top and detachable side screens stowed out of sight behind the seats. Its doors had no external handles. There was an interior pull-cord accessed through a flap in the side screens when the weather equipment was in place. The windscreen could be removed for aero screens to be fitted.

    Owned by Tim Bowles

  • 17. 1955 Jaguar XK 140 Coupe

    From 1948 through 1954, the brilliant XK 120 established Jaguar at the forefront of sports car manufacturers, with its graceful lines and impressive performance. While approximately 12,000 XK 120s were built, its original design, though sound, could easily be improved and updated. The resulting XK 140 arrived in late 1954, with a comprehensive list of improvements designed to maintain Jaguar’s appeal—especially in the all-important U.S. market. In all, some 3,350 XK 140 Roadsters were built from 1954 to 1957.

    Upgrades included more interior space, improved brakes, rack and pinion steering, increased suspension travel, and telescopic shock absorbers instead of the older lever arm design.

    The XK140 was introduced in late 1954 and sold as a 1955 model. Exterior changes that distinguished it from the XK120 included more substantial front and rear bumpers with overriders and flashing turn signals (operated by a switch on the dash) above the front bumper.

    The XK140 was powered by the William Heynes designed 3.4 litre Jaguar XK double overhead camshaft inline-6 engine, with the Special Equipment modifications from the XK120, which raised the specified power by 10 bhp to 190 bhp (142 kW) gross at 5500 rpm, as standard.

    Owned by Robert Wolle

  • 18. 1958 Jaguar XK150 Roadster

    The Jaguar XK150 is a sports car produced by Jaguar between 1957 and 1961 as the successor to the XK140. Initially it was only available in fixed head coupé (FHC) and drophead coupé (DHC) versions. The roadster with full weather equipment which had begun the XK line was launched as the XK150 OTS (open two-seater) in 1958. The open two-seater was fitted for the first time with wind-up windows in taller high-silled doors but retained the very simple folding roof of its predecessors.

    Announced in May 1957, the XK150 bore a family resemblance to the XK120 and XK140 but was radically revised. Most visibly, a one-piece windscreen replaced the split screen, and the wing line carried higher and more streamlined at the doors. The widened bonnet opened down to the wings, and on the coupés the windscreen frame was moved forward 4 inches (102 mm) to make passenger access easier.

    XK150 Jaguars, so named due to their top speed of 150 mph, were generally more comfortable than their predecessors and offered the latest in safety equipment that Jaguar had developed in their race cars, particularly four-wheel disc brakes, which while most common on cars today were quite radical in 1958.

    This XK150 OTS was completely restored in 2019 and has since been an active vintage rally participant, taking place in multiple rallies including the Copperstate 1000 in Arizona and the Mountain Mille in West Virginia.  Finished in the classic Jaguar combination of Old English White with a red Connelly leather interior and fitted with optional chrome wire wheels, the owner plans on continuing to campaign it in vintage events throughout the country in the future.

    Owned by Tom Smith, Nashville, TN

  • 19. 1963 Jaguar E-Type OTS

    Few Cars are as enduring in popular culture as the Jaguar E-type. Upon its release in 1961, there really was nothing else quite like it. The performance for the price would have been enough to sell E-types in droves, but what really made this car an icon and a legend, was its looks. Almost 60 years of advancements in design haven’t dimmed the E-type’s considerable aesthetic appeal; its undeniably beautiful curves and perfect proportions represent car design at its very best.

    The Series I E-type, first introduced in 1961, was the car that kicked off a sports car legend, available in both Roadster and Coupé variants.

    Originally launched with a focus on the US market, at the time the largest car market in the world, the E-type was met with universal critical acclaim. All early E-types were powered by a triple SU carbureted 3.8-litre straight-six XK engine, before a 4.2-litre replaced it in 1964, along with better brakes and a more usable all synchromesh gearboxes.

    The New York City Museum of Modern Art recognized the significance of the E-Type’s design in 1996 by adding a blue roadster to its permanent design collection, one of only six automobiles to receive the distinction.

    Owned by Troy Vanliere

  • 20. 1972 Jaguar E-Type Roadster

    The Jaguar E-Type, or the Jaguar XK-E for the North American market, is a British sports car that was manufactured by Jaguar Cars Ltd between 1961 and 1974. Its combination of beauty, high performance, and competitive pricing established the model as an icon of the motoring world. It is rumored that, on its release on March 15, 1961, Enzo Ferrari called it “the most beautiful car ever made”.

    The E-Type was introduced as a rear-wheel drive grand tourer in two-seater coupé form (FHC or Fixed Head Coupé) and as a two-seater convertible “roadster” (OTS or Open Two Seater). A “2+2” four-seater version of the coupé, with a lengthened wheelbase, was released in 1966.

    The E-Type Series 3 was introduced in 1971, with a new 5.3 L Jaguar V12 engine, uprated brakes and standard power steering. An automatic transmissionwire wheels and air conditioning were available options.

    The V12 was equipped with four Zenith carburettors, and as introduced produced a claimed 203 kW (272 hp), more torque, and a 0–60 mph acceleration of less than seven seconds. The short wheelbase FHC body style was discontinued, with the Series 3 available only as a convertible and 2+2 coupé.

    In March 2008, the Jaguar E-Type ranked first in The Daily Telegraph online list of the world’s “100 most beautiful cars” of all time.

     Dishner-Putnam Family Collection

  • 21. & 22. 1973 Jaguar E-Type V-12 2+2 and 1973 Jaguar E-Type OTS V-12 Roadster

    21. 1973 Jaguar E-Type V-12 2+2

    22. 1973 Jaguar E-Type OTS V-12 Roadster

    The Jaguar E-Type, or the Jaguar XK-E for the North American market, is a British sports car that was manufactured by Jaguar Cars Ltd between 1961 and 1974. Its combination of beauty, high performance, and competitive pricing established the model as an icon of the motoring world. It is rumored that, on its release on March 15, 1961, Enzo Ferrari called it “the most beautiful car ever made”.

    The E-Type was introduced as a rear-wheel drive grand tourer in two-seater coupé form (FHC or Fixed Head Coupé) and as a two-seater convertible “roadster” (OTS or Open Two Seater). A “2+2” four-seater version of the coupé, with a lengthened wheelbase, was released in 1966.

    The E-Type Series 3 was introduced in 1971, with a new 5.3 L Jaguar V12 engine, uprated brakes and standard power steering. An automatic transmissionwire wheels and air conditioning were available options. The V12 was equipped with four Zenith carburetors, and as introduced produced a claimed 203 kW (272 hp), more torque, and a 0–60 mph acceleration of less than seven seconds.

    The new longer wheelbase offered significantly more room in all directions. The Series 3 is easily identifiable by the large cross-slatted front grille, flared wheel arches, wider tires, four exhaust tips and a badge on the rear that proclaims it to be a V12. The final production E-Type OTS Roadster was built in June 1974.

    Owned by John Rochford

  • 23. 1950 Maserati A6 1500 PF Berlinetta

    This extremely rare 1950 Maserati A6 1500 is widely recognized as the first “production road car” for Maserati, a company that at the time primarily focused its efforts on racing car production. As one of the last ten A6 1500s built out of 60 total, it is one of very few A6 1500s without semaphore turn signals. It is also equipped with the extremely rare Tipo 36 DO4 Weber three-carburetor set-up.

    In March 1950, A6 chassis number 0101 was delivered as a rolling chassis to Carrozzeria Pinin Farina in Turin. Three months later, the car’s body was completed. Before the end of 1950, the car was delivered to Maserati’s Rome agency, Gugliemo Dei. In 1951, this A6 1500 was first sold to Mr. Catullo del Monte, of Rome. Del Monte’s ownership of the A6 1500 was short. In 1952, an American living in Rome, Edwin Henry Morris, acquired the car. A few years later, he exported it home to the United States. Later ownership included a well-known Japanese enthusiast with an extensive collection of prominent historical rally cars.

    This car, under its previous owner, competed in the 2011 Mille Miglia in Italy. Under the current ownership the car has competed in the 2016 Mille Miglia and the 2018 Copperstate 1000 in the USA and been shown at the 2016 Amelia Island Concours d’Elegance.

    Chassis number: 0101
    Engine number: 0101
    Owned by Tom Smith, Nashville, TN

  • 24. 1937 Bentley 4.5 Litre Lemans Racer

    In the early days of automotive racing, few marques experienced as much success as Bentley. Some Bentley’s were purpose-built for racing, while others were originally designed as street cars and later converted for the track. This car is an excellent example of the latter. Originally produced in 1937 as a Bentley 4 ¼ Litre Fixed Head Coupe, it was later rebodied by Peterson Engineering of Devon as a LeMans Racer in the style of the famed car owned by Yorkshire industrialist E. R. “Eddie” Hall.  Boasting 163 BHP, the car was renowned for its prowess as a racer winning frequently in both the United Kingdom and Europe and setting speed records which stood until after the Second World War.

    “Race-ready and eligible for participation in vintage racing events, this is a remarkably pristine example of the cars which created Bentley’s dominance of European prewar automobile competitions.”

  • 25. 1939 Jensen H Type Tourer

    Richard and Alan Jensen began building special bodies for Austin Sevens in the midlands of England during the late 1920s. Early in 1936, Percy Morgan, a California industrialist, read about the Jensen-Fords in The Autocar, the other British motoring weekly. He liked the style and wrote to the Jensen’s, who promptly rewarded him with a franchise. He ordered two cars, one for himself and one for friend Clark Gable.

    Jensen produced 65 cars prior to the war of which 14 were H-types and only 3 of those were tourers. All three survive with the others in South Africa and  the UK. This car was shown at Pebble Beach and has undergone two extensive restorations. Jensen made their own bodies but used engines from either Ford or Nash prior to the war. This car is powered by a Nash OHV straight 8 and has a 2-speed rear axle which functions as an overdrive. It was (and is) capable of almost 90mph.

    As the car was produced during wartime, the output from the factory in West Bromwich had slowed as raw materials were required in abundance to help the war effort. In total, there were 14 complete examples of the H-type to leave Jensen’s factory.

    In an air-raid of November 1940, the Jensen factory was destroyed when an incendiary bomb hit the stores and part of the offices. Unfortunately, much pre-war material relating to the history of Jensen Motors was lost in the fire caused by the incendiary bomb.

  • 26. 1927 Rolls-Royce Phantom I

    The Rolls-Royce Phantom was Rolls-Royce‘s replacement for the original Silver Ghost. Introduced as the New Phantom in 1925, the Phantom had a larger engine than the Silver Ghost and used pushrod-operated overhead valves instead of the Silver Ghost’s side valves.

    The Phantom was built in Derby, England, and Springfield, Massachusetts, in the United States. There were several differences in specification between the English and American Phantoms.

    Rolls-Royce of America assembled 2,122 Phantom I chassis in Springfield between 1926-1931. Thirty-three of these were fitted with a custom-made Pall Mall aluminum touring body. The PI is powered by a 468 cu in overhead valve engine with a hp rating of “adequate” by Rolls-Royce. The original cost was approximately $14,000. By comparison, a 1927 Model T sold for less than $300.

    Owned by Leonard McKeand, Franklin, TN

American Classics

America of the 1920s, 30s and 40s produced an explosion of creativity unprecedented in human history. The generation who brought us Modern Art, Jazz Music and Art Deco Design also brought us automobiles which almost defy description—cars distinguished by audacious, aspirational design, mechanical brilliance and extraordinary innovation. It is clear that the creators of these cars felt no inhibition and accepted no limitation on their imagination—they felt that anything they could dream could be produced, and in most instances they were right. It is little wonder that even in the 21st century, we continue to be fascinated by these amazing examples of “rolling art”. The collection of cars on view this weekend includes examples from Detroit’s “Big Three”—Chrysler, Ford and General Motors—as well as the great names of the past such at Packard, Stutz and Studebaker.  Cheekwood is thrilled to present this broad selection of automobiles representing “American Ingenuity” at its very best.

 

  • 27. 1915 Packard Indianapolis 500 Pace Car

     This historic car was originally owned and modified by Indianapolis Motor Speedway Founder and President Carl G. Fisher, and later by Eddie Rickenbacker, the famed pioneer of American aviation.

    “This roadster was Carl’s personal car which he used to pace several races including the 1915 Indianapolis 500,” says current owner Allen Strong. “He was the person who solved the problem of pushing through the impenetrable smoke of 33 race cars at the starting line by doing a ‘rolling start’ with a pace car bringing cars up to speed, then pulling off to allow the race to begin.”

    Fisher also used his Packard to survey portions of the Lincoln Highway, founded by Fisher as America’s first coast to coast “rock” highway. The highway, dedicated in 1913, ran from Times Square in Manhattan, N.Y. to Lincoln Park in San Francisco, Calif.

    This custom-built Packard consists of a shortened 1913 chassis powered by a 1915 Model 3-38-six-cylinder engine. There is only one door on the two-seater car, with no room for a driver’s door because of wooden-spoked spare tires that block the section. Hidden away for over 80 years, the car was purchased by the Strong’s who added it to their impressive collection of over 30 Classic Cars. Uniquely, Fisher’s Packard remains unrestored; its original condition highlighting its historic significance.

    Owned by Allen and Nancy Strong

  • 28. 1947 Chrysler Town & Country Convertible

    While the iconic American “Woody” may not have been invented by Chrysler, it can certainly be argued that it was Chrysler that perfected the concept with the luxurious Town & Country series. Town & Country was a top-of-the-line luxury machine that combined the best of the New Yorker series from the windscreen forward, in combination with an artfully crafted and opulent wooden “country home” feel from the windscreen back. The name is credited to Paul Hafer of the Boyertown Body Works in Pennsylvania, who suggested the car looked “Town from the front and Country from the rear.” It was expensive to build, expensive to buy with a list price was approximately 25% higher than the most popular 1947 Cadillac Sedan, and required specialized maintenance, including the recommendations that the wood be refinished every six months. But it proved to be enough of a success that Chrysler continued production through 1948. Modified versions with more limited woodwork were available through 1950, when production ceased.

    Because the Town & Country was a “Halo” model, meaning it was designed to draw people into showrooms who would ultimately purchase something more practical, only 2600 of these were manufactured, and few remain due to the difficulties involved in maintaining the extensive woodwork. Finished in Catalina Tan with a Red leather/Bedford cord interior, this National award-winning car is considered to be one of the finest examples in existence with an extraordinary restoration of the original wood trim.

    L Head Straight 8 Engine producing 135 horsepower
    Semi-automatic transmission with FluidDrive
    4300 pounds 127.5-inch wheelbase
    Classic Car Club of America National First Prize Winner
    Owned by Barry Stowe, Nashville, TN

     

  • 29. 1946 Chevrolet Fleetmaster Town Sedan

    The Chevrolet Fleetmaster was produced by Chevrolet in the United States for the 1946, 1947 and 1948 model years. The Fleetmaster series included the Fleetline sub-series which was offered only in 2-door and 4-door “fastback” bodystyles.

    The Series DK Fleetmaster was introduced as the top trim level model in the 1946 Chevrolet range, along with the lower-level Series DJ Chevrolet Stylemaster. The Fleetmaster, which replaced the prewar Chevrolet Special Deluxe, was powered by a 216.5 cu in (3.5 L) Straight-six engine driving through a 3 speed manual transmission. It was offered in 2-door Town Sedan, 4-door Sport Sedan, 2-door Sports Coupe, 2-door Convertible, and 4-door Station Wagon models. A Fleetline sub-series was available as the 2-door Aero Sedan and 4-door Sport Master Sedan, both of which featured “fastback” styling and additional triple moldings on all fenders.

    The Fleetmaster was one of the first automobiles produced after World War II and was a part of the lowest production so far in the history of Chevrolet. Car factories throughout the country were quickly being retooled from primarily producing wartime vehicles and armory. The MSRP on the 1946 Chevrolet Fleetmaster was $1,225.

    Owned by Shane Neal

  • 30. 1941 Cadillac Series 62 DeLuxe Convertible

    The Cadillac Series 40-62 is a series of cars which was produced by Cadillac from 1940 through 1964. The Series 62 was used to introduce the Cadillac Coupe de Ville and the Cadillac Eldorado which started out as special appearance packages that were later placed into production.

    The Fisher-bodied Series 40-62 was the new entry level product for the 1940 model line and was upgraded with a low sleek “torpedo” style C-body with chrome window reveals, more slant in the windshield, and a curved rear window. The styling feature distinguishing all V-8 Cadillacs was once again the grille. Although grilles had the same pointed shape as in 1939, the grille bars were heavier and fewer in number.

    The Series 62 offered the only 4-door convertible built by Cadillac in 1941 and it would be the last time this body style was ever made by the marque. All Cadillacs shared the same 346 cu in (5.7 L) 135 hp (101 kW) L-head V8 that year, with power rising to 150 hp (112 kW).

     Sales more than quadrupled to 24,734, accounting for 37% of Cadillac sales in a sales year that well more than doubled the previous Cadillac sales rate record set during the two model years of 1926–27. The new “torpedo” style with its low streamlined runningboardless bodies and expansive shoulder room had proved a big hit. The following model year, abbreviated as it was by a world war, would set no such sales record.

    Owned by John and Crispin Menefee

  • 31. 1941 Buick 90 Series Limited

    The Limited was Buick‘s flagship limousine between 1936 and 1942. The origins of the Limited name date to 1936 when Buick added names to its entire model lineup to celebrate the engineering improvements and design advancements. The 90 Series shared its chassis with the top-level Cadillac Series 70 vehicles.

    Behind the scenes, Cadillac executives lobbied to get the Limited out of production because it infringed on their market. While it was priced in the lower end of its Fleetwood series price point, the Limited was listed at US$2,453 ($47,787 in 2021 dollars) almost equaled Cadillac’s factory built Imperial Touring Limousine, which cost almost four times as much as the Buick, in its appointments.

    Limited’s were the most expensive Buicks in production, riding on the company’s longest wheelbase of 138 in (3,505 mm), and the best-appointed cars that Buick built. All Limited’s were built at the Buick factory in Flint, Michigan, while all Cadillacs were built in Detroit at the Clark Street Facility while coachwork was provided by Fisher Body.

    Production of the Limited, and all Buick continued until the eve of World War II when the last Buick was built February 2, 1942.

    Owned by Robert Fritz

  • 32. 1940 LaSalle Convertible Coupe

    The LaSalle had its beginnings when General Motors’ CEO Alfred P. Sloan noticed that his carefully crafted market segmentation program was beginning to develop price gaps in which General Motors had no products to sell. What emerged as the LaSalle in 1927 was introduced on the GM C platform with the Cadillac V8. The 1927 LaSalle was designed by Harley Earl, who had a 30-year career at General Motors, eventually gaining control of all design and styling at General Motors.

    Built by Cadillac to its high standards but at a dedicated factory at Wyoming Road Assembly, the LaSalle soon emerged as a trend-setting automobile. Earl was then placed in charge of overseeing the design of all of General Motors’ vehicles.

    This LaSalle Series 50 Model 350 listed at US$1,550 ($29,986 in 2020 dollars) for a choice of coupes, sedans or convertibles and was now priced US$1,000 ($19,346 in 2020 dollars) below the least expensive Cadillac. Its mission was not to fill a price gap, but to keep the luxury-car division out of the red. But as the economy began to recover, the LaSalle did not, at least not commensurate with the economy.

    The final 1940 LaSalles were introduced in October 1939 with a full array of semi-custom body styles, as it had in its first year, including a convertible sedan. Earl oversaw this redesign. The LaSalle emerged with a smooth-flowing design, its thin radiator flanked by a series of thin chrome slots. In its final year, sales of the LaSalle reached the second-highest level ever at 24,133.

    Owned by Mike Wall

  • 33. 1938 Packard Twelve Coupe Roadster

    The Packard Motor Car Company operated from 1899 until 1958. From its founding through the 1930’s it focused on the ultra-luxury market building what many consider to be “the American Rolls-Royce”. When the Ford Model T sold for an average of about $300 and the Oldsmobile Runabout went for $650, Packard concentrated on cars with prices starting at $2,600.  In 1938, Cadillac’s most popular model listed for $2090, while this Packard model sold for over $4300–the equivalent of about $120,000 in 2022. The marque developed a loyal following among wealthy purchasers both in the United States and abroad, competing with European marques like Bentley and Mercedes Benz. Packard was very popular among Hollywood personalities, and counted Bob Hope, Clark Gable, Charles Boyer and Judy Garland as regular customers. Packard was also the preferred motor car of Franklin Roosevelt, and Japan’s Emperor Hirohito owned ten!

    This 1938 Twelve (so named because of its 12-cylinder engine) was Packard’s top-of-the-line personal luxury car. These cars were largely hand-built, and each was individually track-tested at the Packard Proving Grounds before delivery to the ordering customer. This particular car, chassis #11392020, was delivered new through Packard’s dealer in Beverly Hills, and spent most of its life in California. 1938 was the penultimate year for the Packard Twelve. Only 78 Coupe Roadsters were manufactured, and only handful remain today. Finished in Chinese Red with a coordinating red leather interior, it benefits from a Concours-level restoration and is considered one of the finest examples in existence.

    437 cubic inch V-12 engine producing 175 horsepower
    3 speed Synchromesh manual transmission
    5255 pounds   134-inch wheelbase
    Owned by Barry Stowe, Nashville Tennessee

  • 34. 1937 Chrysler Imperial C-14 Eight Roadster Coupe

    Technically, no 1937 Imperials carried the “Airflow” designation, an aerodynamic, fuel-efficient concept introduced by Chrysler well ahead of its time. But the styling of all Imperials was heavily influenced by the Airflow, including the C-14 Eight Roadster Coupe.  The unique and efficient styling of these cars wasn’t the only innovation; both the engine and transmission of these cars were cradled in rubber, and the “outrigger” body sat on rubber insulators. The combination of these features was marketed as “Floating Ride” and provided a remarkably smooth and quiet drive for the times. With an MSRP of $1170, they represented an extraordinary value. Only 351 were built, and this one is arguably the finest example of the 5 that remain in existence.

    This Imperial Roadster was delivered new in April 1937 to Schaefer Chrysler in Bronx, New York. It included several options, including fender skirts, a clock, a special steering wheel and chrome wheel discs. Fast forward many years and this car found its way to a small town in Tennessee; it was in a state of disrepair and badly in need of attention.  It was purchased by a Chrysler enthusiast who began the long process of bringing it back to life, including a major restoration by Graveyard Run Restorations of Bradyville, Tennessee. The car you see today is a result of his intensive efforts. Finished in Chrysler-correct Everglades Red with a matching red leather interior, this car a multiple award winner.

    L Head Straight 8 Engine producing 110 horsepower
    3 speed floor mounted manual transmission with Overdrive
    3609 pounds 121-inch wheelbase
    Multiple Best in Class Award Winner
    Owned by Jim Stadler, Nashville, TN

  • 35. 1936 Packard One-Twenty Convertible Coupe

    The Packard Twelfth Series One-Twenty was produced by the Packard Motor Car Company of DetroitMichigan, from 1935 to 1937 and from 1939 through the 1941 model years. The One-Twenty model designation was derived from the wheelbase, and it was replaced by the Packard 200.

    The One-Twenty signified the first time that Packard had entered the highly competitive mid-priced eight-cylinder car market. Packard enthusiasts view the production of the One-Twenty and the Six/One-Ten models as the start of Packard’s losing its hold on the market as the premier American luxury automotive brand.

    The introduction of the One-Twenty (and later the Six/One-Ten models) was a necessary move to keep Packard in business during the final years of the Great Depression, expanding on an earlier approach with the Packard Light Eight. Branding the One-Twenty a Packard afforded buyers the cachet of owning a Packard

    For 1936 Packard increased the displacement on the L-head eight, increasing its output to 120 bhp (89 kW), making the car capable of reaching a top speed of 85 mph. The One-Twenty added a convertible four-door-sedan model which was the most expensive model in the range priced at $1,395. A total 55,042 units rolled off the line in 1936, the highest production that the One-Twenty would reach. A built-in radio was available at a cost of $59.50.

    Owned by Martin McNamara

  • 36. 1934 Packard Super Eight Victoria

    Packard was an American luxury automobile marque built by the Packard Motor Car Company of DetroitMichigan, United States. The first Packard automobiles were produced in 1899, and the last Detroit-built Packard in 1956, when they built the Packard Predictor, their last concept car.

    The company was considered the preeminent luxury car before World War II and built aircraft engines for the Allied war effort. Owning a Packard was prestigious, being the favorite with European Royalty, celebrities, and Corporate America.

    The Packard Super Eight was the larger of the two eight-cylinder luxury automobiles produced by Packard. It shared frames and some body types with the top model Packard Twelve. The 1933-1936 Packard Super Eight was a big classic.

    The Eight offered an optional four-speed synchromesh transmission. Like other Packard’s of this era, it featured Ride Control and a system of dash-adjustable hydraulic shock absorbers. The Eight also featured automatic chassis lubrication and “shatterproof” glass.

    Packard become the best-selling luxury brand between 1924 and 1930, as well as selling almost twice as many abroad as any other marque priced over US $2000.

    Owned by Martin McNamara

  • 37. 1934 Packard Roadster

    Packard was considered the preeminent luxury car before World War II and also built aircraft engines for the Allied war effort. Owning a Packard was prestigious, and surviving examples are found in museums, car shows and automobile collections.

    Entering the 1930s, Packard attempted to beat the stock market crash and subsequent Great Depression by manufacturing ever more opulent and expensive cars than it had prior to October 1929 and began offering different platforms that focused on different price points allowing the company to offer more products and remain competitive.

    Packard had one advantage that some other luxury automakers did not: a single production line. By maintaining a single line and interchangeability between models, Packard was able to maintain low costs. Packard did not change models as often as other manufacturers. Rather than introducing new models annually, Packard began using its own “Series” formula for differentiating its model changeovers in 1923 borrowing a strategy from GM called planned obsolescence. By 1942, Packard was in its Twentieth Series. The “Thirteenth Series” was omitted due to the western superstition about the number 13.

    To address the Depression, Packard started producing more affordable cars in the medium price range. This was a necessary step as the demand for hand-built luxury cars had diminished sharply and people who could afford such vehicles were reluctant to be seen in them when unemployment was over 20%. In 1935, the company introduced its first car under $1000.

    Owned by Mark Lambert

  • 38. & 42. 1931 Ford Model A Sedan and 1930 Ford Model A

    38.  1931 Ford Model A Sedan

    42.  1930 Ford Model A

    The Ford Model A was the Ford Motor Company‘s second market success, replacing the venerable Model T which had been produced for 18 years. In March 1930, Model A sales hit three million, and there were nine body styles available.  Prices for the Model A ranged from US$385 for a roadster to US$1,400 for the top-of-the-line town car.

    The Model A came in a wide variety of styles including coupes (standard and deluxe), business coupe, sport coupe, roadster coupes (standard and deluxe), convertible cabriolet, convertible sedan, phaetons (standard and deluxe), Tudor sedans (standard and deluxe), town car, Fordors (five-window standard, three-window deluxe), Victoria, town sedan, station wagon, taxicab, truck, and commercial.

    The Model A was the first Ford to use the standard set of driver controls with conventional clutch and brake pedals, throttle, and gearshift. Previous Fords used controls that had become uncommon to drivers of other makes.

    The Model A was well represented in media of the era since it was one of the most common cars. Charlie Ryan’s song “Hot Rod Lincoln” featured a modified Model A. A 1930 sport coupe, is the official mascot of the student body at Georgia Tech and appears at sporting events and student body functions.

    Dishner-Putnam Family Collection

  • 39. 1931 Studebaker President

    The Studebaker President was the premier automobile model manufactured by the Studebaker Corporation of South Bend, Indiana from 1926-1942. The nameplate was reintroduced in 1955 and used until the end of the 1958 model when the name was retired.

    Albert Russel Erskine, Studebaker’s president, spared no expense in his goal of making the President the finest automobile on the American road, with prices ranging from $1,985 to $2485. Presidents produced from 1928-1933 established land speed records, some of which went unbroken for 35 years.

    The primary advances of the 1931 engine were the increase in displacement to 337 cu in (5,520 cc) and the crankshaft was drilled for oil passage to each of its nine large main bearings. At this time, the straight-eight engines of many other firms had only five bearings; connecting the crank throws of every pair of cylinders between said bearings, their crankshafts had a heavy diagonal beam to take the stress, and the lubrication of the bearings was not as effective.

    In 1931, Studebaker introduced “Ovaloid” headlights which were oblong in shape and made identification of the President and other “senior” Studebaker models easier. Presidents manufactured in this era were considered to rival more expensive marques such as Cadillac, Packard, and Chrysler’s Imperial model range. Studebaker went into receivership during 1933-34, and the era of the big, impressive President ended abruptly.

    Owned by Craig Pearson, Crofton, KY

  • 40. 1931 Gardner Model 158 Rumble Seat Roadster

    The Gardner motor car company was founded in 1920 by a Tennessean named Russell E. Gardner who set up shop in St. Louis after previously making a fortune manufacturing Chevrolet body alongside his buggies in the 19 teens. Eventually he built complete Chevrolets in his St. Louis factory before deciding to build cars on his own. From the outset Gardeners were “assembled” cars, using as many outsourced components as possible including the use of Lycoming engines. A steady increase in sales saw output peak at around 40,000 cars and in early 1929 Gardner announced that the company had signed a deal to also manufacture Ruxtons at the St. Louis plant. This deal fell through with the 1929 stock market crash.

    Gardner was always a “mid-range“car but delivered much more luxury and performance than other cars in its market segment, much like the Auburn. The model 158 was unique for 1931 and was the “top-of-the-line “, costing $2400.

    This car was sold new in Connecticut and fell victim to the great New England hurricane of 1938, a category five storm with winds of 162 miles an hour which caused over $300 million of damage. The brick garage in which the car was placed collapsed in the storm and the Gardner lay entombed there for an incredible 24 years, saving it from the scrap drives of World War II. In 1962 the car was exhumed, and research was begun on an exact time frame off restoration. The restoration was undertaken by the late marque expert Ed Jacobowitz, and eventually completed in 1986, with no nut or bolt left unturned, resulting in a 100% accurate restoration.

    When one considers that in its final year Gardner only made 174 cars, and that this is the only remaining model 158 of any body style in existence, one can understand the determination that fueled a painstaking decades long restoration.

    Triple color scheme of tan, medium brown and dark brown, with orange pinstriping. Maroon leather interior.  130-inch wheelbase, with wire wheels and dual side mount spares.

    Powered by its original Lycoming straight eight with high compression “yellow jacket” head utilizing a Schebler carburetor, generating 126 brake horsepower which is sent to a high-speed Columbia rear differential, making the car good for over 100 mph.

    Owned by Adam Ellis, Gallatin, TN

  • 41. 1931 Chrysler CD-8 Roadster

    Chrysler gained significant market share in the early years of the Great Depression, due to public perception that the cars offered exceptional value at a reasonable price point. Of almost 53,000 Chrysler sold in 1931, only 511 were Sport Roadsters. The base price of $1545 compared favorably to both Cadillac and Packard, whose similar models sold for over $2600. Chryslers were also known for their excellent engineering and performance, a corporate reputation attributable in part to the personal reputation of Walter Chrysler, one of the most successful and innovative figures in early automotive history.

    This Sports Roadster was delivered new in Michigan, but eventually found its way to Tennessee where it has been lovingly looked after for many years. Although it is not an “Imperial,” Chrysler’s answer to Cadillac, Lincoln and Packard, it shares many styling cues with its more expensive big brother. Among the numerous features this car enjoys is a rumble seat with its own windscreen—an unusual feature even on cars retailing for twice as much. Finished in beautiful two-tone livery based upon Chrysler-correct Abbott Gray, and with a coordinating tan leather interior, this car shows beautifully and is doubtless one of the finest existing examples of a rare roadster.

    Deluxe Straight 8 Engine producing 100 horsepower
    3 Speed Floor Mounted Manual Transmission
    3330 pounds 124-inch wheelbase
    Owned by Jim Stadler, Nashville, TN

  • 43. 1930 Lincoln Sport Roadster by Locke

    At the 1930 Automobile Salon Show in New York City and Chicago, Lincoln Motor Company presented a line of custom bodied cars. This presentation included a Locke bodied Sport Roadster, with two distinctive features: a disappearing top and a folding arm rest which also featured a cigar lighter. The new model was priced well over $5000. This higher priced option was marketed to the wealthy, or near wealthy, as it was just after the 1929 October stock market crash.

    Only 15 of these models were produced, this example is #13-4. Type 5000 and engine #62161.  Number 13 was the body builder, Locke and Company of Rochester and New York.  The number #4 was of 15 made, our model is the oldest of the surviving Roadsters, the others are #7 and #13.

    This car was originally ordered and delivered in Chicago to a physician and admirer of Lincoln quality, style and engineering.  The car remained in the Chicago area until the early 1960’s, when the owner moved to St. Louis.  The car was then purchased by Ann and Gene Nau (our family) in 1978.  The car was fully restored by Jerry Nau 1980, Jerry is the grandfather of David and great-grandfather of Peter, the current owners. The car has been enjoyed by the Naus for over 30 years and 4 generations.  The restoration and paint were refreshed a few years ago.

    The car has been shown many times including Amelia Island, Glennmore Gathering (1st in class), Meadowbrook Hall, St Johns (1st in class.) and most recently was Best of Class at the Boston Cup.

    Model 191 Engine 62161
    Owned by David, Amy, and Peter Nau

  • 44. 1930 Cadillac V16 Madame X Coupe

    For all its popularity within the automobile sphere and among automobile lovers, the name “Madame X” was never used by Cadillac. The name Madame X gained popularity back in the ’30s after a vintage Caddy featured in a famous stage play, back in the day. The Madame X models were particularly characterized by their Fleetwood body style. Though the majority of Madam X models were Cadillac V-16 models, collectors over the years have also stumbled upon some rare V8 models.

    The Cadillac V-16 was a special car and features among the greatest Cadillac cars ever produced. Launched in 1930, it was a beacon of exclusivity and luxury. It was among the most expensive cars back in the ’30s and only 4076 V-16 models were ever produced during a reign that lasted 11 years. Buyers were given the option to select from over 50 different body styles. The stunning body design attracted plenty of attention, particularly from the elite.

    The V16 engine was a reply to Cadillac’s chief competitor Packard’s V12 engine.

    On January 4, 1930, New Yorkers were treated to an engineering tour de force. At the opening of the National Automobile Show at the Grand Central Palace, Cadillac unveiled the world’s first production V-16 automobile engine. It was a reply to the highly esteemed V12 engine introduced by Packard, Cadillac’s chief competitor. Aesthetically, this powerplant was a work of art, and it was said to be the first powerplant that was truly styled, as all the wiring and hoses were concealed to the extent possible, hidden behind covers or in raceways. The late historian Griffith Borgeson described it elegantly as being what “made Cadillac, beyond all discussion, the absolute world leader in motoring magnificence…it was the super engine that set the whole exercise apart.”

    The exterior design of the V-16 was not left behind though. Buyers could choose from a plethora of 54 bodies, with the most ornate and most expensive being part of the so-called 4100 series, a group of closed body styles distinguished by sporty 18-degree slanted windshields and narrow window pillars that were edged in chrome. Early on, the sobriquet “Madame X” was applied to the style, after a famous stage play of the era. It was a name never used by Cadillac but has been widely adopted by enthusiasts.

    This car carries Rumbleseat Coupe Coachwork produced by Fleetwood and is one of only 4 known to exist.

    Owned by Allen and Nancy Strong

  • 45. 1925 Chrysler Touring Model 70

    Based upon his extraordinary success in helping to build General Motors for William Durant, and then saving Willys Overland from ruin, Walter Chrysler had an extraordinary reputation in the automotive industry—and among the East Coast bankers who financed it. In 1924, with the financial support of such bankers, he took control of the failing Maxwell Motor Car Company and by 1925 had transformed it into Chrysler Corporation—thus founding the last major automotive company. The 1925 Model 70 was one of the first model produced by the new company. The new car was powerful and was the first medium priced car (MSRP of $1395) with a high compression engine. Over 32,000 had been sold by the end of their first year—an extraordinary result.

    This 1925 Model 70 Touring has a simple story, having been owned by only two families over its almost 100-year history. The car was delivered new on June 1, 1925, to Louis Lyzenga of Cadillac, Michigan who drove the car regularly and cared for it meticulously. In August of 1952, his widow traded it to Stadler Motors of Grand Rapids, Michigan for a new Plymouth. The dealership owner, Bill Stadler kept the car for many years, ultimately storing it in a barn on his farm near Urbana, Illinois. In 1996 he sold the car to his brother Jim for $1.  In 1999 it was restored to original condition by Sargent Metal Works of Bradford, Vermont. It is preserved in its original livery of black with a matching black leather interior. A cosmetic refresh was done in 2010. That this earliest Chrysler still runs beautifully is testament to the good stewards who have owned it, and to the vision of Walter Chrysler.

    L Head Six Cylinder Engine producing 68 Horsepower
    3 Speed Floor Mounted Manual Transmission
    730 pounds 113-inch Wheelbase
    Owned by Jim Stadler, Nashville Tennessee

  • 46. 1920 Stutz Bearcat

    As the son of a farmer, Harry C. Stutz grew up tinkering with mechanical objects. Prior to the turn of the twentieth century, young Stutz was repairing and improving implements on his family farm, and he soon became enthralled with the burgeoning world of motorized transport. He left home to pursue an engineering education, and in 1897, built his first motorcar, following that with a second that was powered by an engine of his own design and manufacture.  He quickly earned a stellar reputation for his talents and was known as a driven, creative, innovator.

    Harry Stutz formed his own company called “Ideal Motor Car Company” based in Indianapolis, Indiana. The first Stutz automobile, the Model A, which served as the basis for the Bearcat, was built in just five weeks in 1911, and delivered across town to compete in the inaugural Indianapolis 500 Mile Race. An 11th place finish with Gil Anderson behind the wheel earned the slogan: “The Car That Made Good in a Day.” Later that summer, manufacture of the Stutz Model A, a road-going duplicate of the proven Indy racer, began in earnest. Stutz was keen to take advantage of marketing opportunities, with a Stutz Bearcat roadster serving as the pace car at the 1912 Indianapolis 500.

    The Bearcat came to define Stutz as a brand as well as a car that personified “The Roaring Twenties”, evoking images of young men in raccoon coats flying Ivy League pennants on their prized sports cars. Today they remain massively collectible as few survived the flogging they often received at the hands of their enthusiastic owners.

    James Melton, a famous and popular singer as well as an actor from the 1920’s to the 1950’s acquired this Bearcat, chassis #7171 in 1949. He recounts the story of the Stutz in his book ‘Bright Wheels Rolling’ whereby he found the Bearcat in Roman Kauewic’s blacksmith shop in Milwaukee Wisconsin where it had been sitting for 25 years. Once acquired, he gave it a full restoration, “stem to stern” nuts, bolts, plating and paint and he recounts, even the upholstery we got closest we could to the “hand-buffed Spanish leather” advertised by Stutz. Melton began the James Melton Autorama, a museum with a collection of over 125 cars. The Stutz was acquired by Winthrop Rockefeller, former governor of Arkansas who placed the Stutz in the “Museum of Automobiles” in Petit Jean Mountain Arkansas in 1961. Bill Harrah, a well-known collector of automobiles, motorcycles, boats and planes purchased the Stutz in 1975 and placed the Stutz in the Harrah’s Museum, in Reno Nevada. The Stutz was purchased by Angie Sanfilippo from Harrah’s Corporation in 2007 and Angie gave to her husband, Anthony Sanfilippo, as a gift to celebrate his 23 years working for Harrah’s and being the care-taker of the Stutz during that time period. Angie and Anthony own the Stutz today and the Stutz now finds the Nashville area as its home.

    Original Price $3,250
    Engine Type: T-Head, 4 cylinder, 80 HP
    Bore:4 3/8” Stroke: 6” 360.8 cu. In.
    Owned by Anthony Sanfilippo

  • 47. 1919 Winton

    The Winton Motor Carriage Company was a pioneer United States automobile manufacturer based in Cleveland, Ohio. Winton was one of the first American companies to sell a motor car. In 1912 Winton became one of the first American manufacturers of diesel engines.

    In 1896, Scottish immigrant Alexander Winton, owner of the Winton Bicycle Company, turned from bicycle production to an experimental single-cylinder automobile before starting his car company.

    In 1903, Dr. Horatio Nelson Jackson made the first successful automobile drive across the United States. On a $50 bet, he purchased a slightly used two-cylinder, 20 hp (15 kW) Winton touring car and hired a mechanic to accompany him. Starting in San FranciscoCalifornia, ending in ManhattanNew York CityNew York. The trip lasted 63 days, 12 hours, and 30 minutes, including breakdowns and delays while waiting for parts to arrive. The two men often drove miles out of the way to find a passable road, repeatedly hoisted the Winton up and over rocky terrain and mud holes with a block and tackle, or were pulled out of soft sand by horse teams.[8] In 1903, there were only 150 miles of paved road in the entire country, all inside city limits. There were no road signs or maps. They once paid the exorbitant price of $5 for five gallons of gasoline. Jackson and his partner followed rivers and streams, transcontinental railroad tracks, sheep trails, and dirt back roads.

    Winton continued to successfully market automobiles to upscale consumers through the 1910s, but sales began to fall in the early 1920s. This was due to the very conservative nature of the company, both in terms of technical development and styling. Only one sporting model was offered — the Sport Touring, with the majority of Wintons featuring tourer, sedan, limousine and town car styling. The Winton Motor Carriage Company ceased automobile production on February 11, 1924.

    Owned by Mike Wall

  • 48. 1958 BMW Isetta 300

    Driven by the need for post-war affordable transportation, BMW decided to supplement slow sales of their larger models with an inexpensive car. In 1955, BMW acquired the license from ISO (an Italian refrigerator company) to make this “bubble car.” As many as 3,925 Isettas were sold in the US. during 1958. But U.S. sales slowed when California ruled that Isettas could not enter their state’s highway system. Even though the Isetta has 10″ tires, weighs less than 800 pounds, and goes from 0 to 30 in 11 seconds, mechanically it is a very reliable car. You will notice this car has one door; it seats two passengers. Many Isettas survive to this day. The Isetta you see here has had a few engine modifications–taking it from 12 hp to 20 hp which increased the maximum speed from 53 mph to 65 mph. The custom paint job–Porsche magenta and Chrysler yellow paint–is an attention-getter.

    Property of Lane Motor Museum

  • 49. 1959 NSU Prinz 1

    The NSU trademark was first used in 1892. Motorcycle production began in 1901, and the first NSU-badged car was introduced at the Berlin Motor Show in 1907. Car production stopped in the late 1920s while the company prospered with motorcycles. Although the factories were destroyed by repeated air raids in 1944-45, by the mid 1950s, NSU was the world’s largest motorcycle maker. Predicting the end of the motorcycle boom, they turned their attention back to cars. NSU, probably better known as a motorcycle maker than a car maker, ceased motorcycle production in 1963.

     

    In 1955 development began on a small 4-seater car, and in 1956 the first NSU Prinz cars rolled off the line. Introduced at the 1957 Frankfurt Motor Show, NSU’s tagline read, “Fahre Prinz und Du bist König”, i.e. Drive a Prince and You’re a King. The Prinz line was updated several times, and was quite successful, remaining in production well into the 1970s.

     

    Lane Motor Museum loaned this 1959 NSU Prinz 1 for James May’s segment on the Apollo space program for Season 3, Ep. 9 of Amazon Prime’s The Grand Tour. Most astronauts drove Chevrolet Corvettes that were given to them by GM, but Mercury astronaut John Glenn instead drove an NSU Prinz 1. The Prinz got better fuel mileage than the Corvette, as Glenn had a longer commute than his fellow astronauts, allowing him to save for his children’s college fund; the more economical Prinz made financial sense.

     

    Specifications:
    Manufacturer: NSU Motorenwerke AG
    Country of Origin: Germany
    Drivetrain Configuration: Rear engine, rear wheel drive
    Engine: 583cc, 26 hp, 2 cylinder, air cooled transversely mounted
    Transmission: 4 speed manual
    Top Speed: 62 mph
    Years of Production: 1956-62
    Number Produced: 94,549
    Original Cost: $1,195

     

    Property of Lane Motor Museum

  • 50. 1965 Peel Trident

    Peel Engineering holds a unique place in automotive history for producing the world’s smallest car (P-50) and the world’s smallest 2-seater car (the Trident). The Peel Trident was an evolution of the P-50. It was made slightly larger to accommodate two modest-size adults. The Peel Trident is not very roomy, and when two people sit in it, they are shoulder to shoulder. To save money, Peel Engineering used the same 50cc drivetrain in both the P-50 and the Trident. The bubble glass top which ratchets upward to allow entry works great from an ergonomic viewpoint; it works very poorly for ventilation, as on a sunny day, the car becomes an oven. With the Peel Trident weighing a minuscule 330 pounds, it is quite possible to double the weight of the car when two occupants climb inside.

    Gas Tank Capacity: 2.5 gal.
    Weight: 330 lbs.
    Length: 6.08 ft.
    Width: 3.25 ft.
    Area (footprint): 19.77 sq. ft.
    Number of cars that equal the length of a football field: 49
    Number of cars that will fit in a 2-car garage: 31

    Specifications
    Manufacturer: Peel Engineering Co.
    Country of Origin: Isle of Man
    Engine: 50cc DKW, 2-cylinder, air-cooled
    Top Speed: 30 miles per hour
    Years of Production: 1965-1966

    Property of Lane Motor Museum

Back to Top