El Día de los Muertos Altar Application
October 29 – October 30, 2022
We are seeking community partners to create altar displays to be shown during the El Día de los Muertos festival. Altar displays are a great opportunity for community organizations to represent themselves and to celebrate their ancestors in the tradition of El Día de los Muertos.
– The festival takes place rain OR shine.
– There is no fee to participate in the altar display.
– Altars must be staffed by a representative throughout the event, from 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM.
– Altar breakdown must not begin until after the festival concludes on October 30 at 5:00 PM.
Altars must be set up the day before the event, on Friday, October 28, between 9:00 AM – 4:00 PM. Altars cannot be set up the morning of the event.
– All altars are located in Massey Auditorium, inside our Visitor Services Center.
– All space assignments are made at the discretion of the Event Coordinator.
– Each altar receives one 8 ft table and two chairs. Altar displays must fit within this assigned space.
– ALL displays must be free-standing. Due to changes in the event space, participants will not be able to tape or glue decorative elements to the walls in Massey Auditorium. Please keep this in mind while designing your display.
Application Review Process
Event spaces are limited. Applications are accepted and spaces assigned based on the following criteria:
– Date application was received by Cheekwood. (Priority given to early applicants. Application must be received before the September 23 deadline.)
– Previous history with Cheekwood’s El Día de los Muertos event.
– The goal of quality, diversity, variety, and limited duplication.
– Applicants will be notified of their acceptance to the festival on or before Friday, September 30, 2022.
Thank you for your interest! This year's application is now closed.