El Dia de los Muertos
November 2, 2019 | 9 AM – 5 PM
Every year, Cheekwood strives to improve El Día de los Muertos festival, both for our participants and our guests.
We are seeking community partners to create altar displays to be shown during the festival. Altar displays are a great opportunity for community organizations to represent themselves and to celebrate their ancestors in the tradition of El Día de los Muertos.
– The festival takes place rain OR shine.
– There is no fee to participate in the altar display.
– Altars must be staffed by a representative throughout the event, from 9:00 am – 5:00 pm.
– Altar breakdown must not begin until after the festival concludes at 5:00 pm.
Altars must be set up the day before the event, on Friday, November 1, between 9 AM – 4 PM. Altars cannot be set up the morning of the event.
– All altars are located in Massey Auditorium, inside our Visitor Services Center.
– All space assignments are made at the discretion of the Event Coordinator.
– Each altar receives one 8 ft table and two chairs. Altar displays must fit within this assigned space.
– Any display that plans to use wall space or floor space must be approved in advance of installation.
Application Review Process
Event spaces are limited. Applications are accepted and spaces assigned based on the following criteria:
– Date application was received by Cheekwood. (Priority given to early applicants. Application must be received before the August 23 deadline.)
– Previous history with Cheekwood’s El Día de los Muertos event.
– The goal of quality, diversity, variety, and limited duplication.
– Applicants will be notified of their acceptance to the festival on or before Friday, August 23, 2019.
Thank you for your interest! This year's application is now closed.