- The festival takes place rain OR shine.
- There is no fee to participate in the altar display.
- Altars must be staffed by a representative throughout the event, from 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM.
- Altar breakdown must not begin until after the festival concludes on October 29 at 5:00 PM.
Friday, August 28 at 11:59 PM
Altars must be set up the day before the event, on Friday, October 27, between 9:00 AM – 4:00 PM. Altars cannot be set up the morning of the event.
- All altars are located in Massey Auditorium, inside our Visitor Services Center.
- All space assignments are made at the discretion of the Event Coordinator.
- Each altar receives one 8 ft table and two chairs. Altar displays must fit within this assigned space.
- All displays must be free-standing. Due to changes in the event space, participants will not be able to tape or glue decorative elements to the walls in Massey Auditorium. Please keep this in mind while designing your display.
Application Review Process
Event spaces are limited. Applications are accepted and spaces assigned based on the following criteria:
- Date application was received by Cheekwood. (Priority given to early applicants. Application must be received before the August 28 deadline.)
- Previous history with Cheekwood’s El Día de los Muertos event.
- The goal of quality, diversity, variety, and limited duplication.
- Applicants will be notified of their acceptance on or before Friday, September 1, 2023.
Thank you for your interest! This year's application is now closed.