Tots! Activity: Oil Marbling
As Cheekwood’s Tots program is temporarily suspended, we are sharing today’s activity for parents and tots to activate at home. Use our files to create your own marble oil painting, then share your work with us by tagging @cheekwood on Instagram and using #cheekwoodtots!
Here’s what you’ll need:
• Thick paper (watercolor paper or cardstock)
• Vegetable oil
• Food coloring or watercolor paint
• Baking sheet or pie pan
• Small bowls
• Somewhere for your project to dry
- In a small bowl, mix a little vegetable oil with liquid food coloring or liquid watercolors. The more coloring you add, the stronger the color will be on your paper.
- Put an inch of water in a pie pan or baking dish larger than your paper.
- Scoop or pour colored oil into the baking dish with the water. Give it a gentle stir to break up the oil.
- Place paper on top of water but do not submerge.
- Take out and leave to dry on something that is oil resistant.
- Once dry, they can be used for cards or whatever you want!
Try pairing the activity with one of these books:
Mix it Up by Herve Tullet
Little Blue and Little Yellow by Leo Lionni
Mouse Paint by Ellen Stoll Walsh