Tots! Activity: Build a Bug
As Cheekwood’s Tots program is temporarily suspended, we are sharing today’s activity for parents and tots to activate at home. Use our files to create your own build a bug, then share your work with us by tagging @cheekwood on Instagram and using #cheekwoodtots!
Here’s what you’ll need:• Construction paper in various colors
• Glue Stick or tape
• Markers or crayons
• Bug parts template
*See template below
Directions:1. Print out the bug parts template. Color in the parts on the template or trace and cut pieces out of colored paper. Feel free to add as many of your own shapes.
2. Allow your Tot to use the various pieces to create their own bugs.
3. When ready, glue or tape down your bag. Use markers or crayons to decorate your bug!
Try pairing the activity with one of these books:
Some Bugs by Angela DiTerlizzi and Brendan Wenzel
Mrs. Peanuckle’s Bug Alphabet by Mrs. Peanuckle and Jessie Ford
Bugs! Bugs! Bugs! By Bob Barner
Ask your explorer: • What is an insect? What does an insect look like? They have six legs, three body sections, two antennae and a hard covering over its body.
• How are you similar to a bug? You both have heads, legs, eyes, etc.
• Why did you use those pieces to create your bug? How did you put them together?
• What is the name of the bug you made? What noise does it make? What does it do?