Tots! Activity: Fireflies
As Cheekwood’s Tots program is temporarily suspended, we are sharing today’s activity for parents and tots to activate at home. Use our files to create your own fireflies, then share your work with us by tagging @cheekwood on Instagram and using #cheekwoodtots!
Here’s what you’ll need:• Jar template
*See template below
• Yellow paint (glow in the dark if you have it)
• Black pen or marker
Directions:1. Print template and cut it out if desired.
2. Using a round stamp (qtip, cotton ball, fingers, etc.) dot paint inside the jar.
3. Once dry, draw wings and antennae onto the dots to make fireflies.
Try pairing the activity with one of these books:
The Very Lonely Firefly by Eric Carle
Firefly Home by Jane Clarke and Britta Teckentrupp
Lucy’s Light (
Once Upon a Garden) by Jo Rooks
Ask your explorer: • Why do you think fireflies light up?
• Do you think other animals can also do that?
• How is a firefly different from a spider?
• How are fireflies different from other insects?