Tots! Activity: Painted Lines
As Cheekwood’s Tots program is temporarily suspended, we are sharing today’s activity for parents and tots to activate at home. Use our files to create your own painted lines, then share your work with us by tagging @cheekwood on Instagram and using #cheekwoodtots!
Here’s what you’ll need:
• Yarn, string, twine
1. Put paint on a paper plate and cut small pieces of string.
2. Have your Tot dip the string into the paint covering the string or yarn in paint and drag it across a piece of paper to make lines.
3. Encourage them to move the yarn in different ways to make different kinds of lines!
Try pairing the activity with one of these books:
Lines That Wiggle by Candace Whitman and Steve Wilson
Ish by Peter H Reynolds
When a Line Bends… A Shape Begins by Rhonda Gowler Greene and James Kaczman
Ask your artist:
• How did you make these lines?
• Why did you choose that color?
• What is your favorite part of your picture? Why?
• Can you describe your lines? Are they wavy, zigzag, curved?