Tots! Activity: TP Roll Fish
As Cheekwood’s Tots program is temporarily suspended, we are sharing today’s activity for parents and tots to activate at home. Use our files to create your own fish, then share your work with us by tagging @cheekwood on Instagram and using #cheekwoodtots!
Here’s what you’ll need:
• Paper towel roll or toilet paper roll
• Paint brushes
1. Flatten cardboard tube.
2. On one open end, cut a semicircle. On the other side, cut two little slits for a tail.
3. Bend those inside the tube to form the tail.
4. Paint your fish!
Try pairing the activity with one of these books:
Swimmy by Leo Lionni
The Pout-Pout Fish by Deborah Diesen
The Rainbowfish by Marcus Pfister
Ask your explorer:
• What are some ways animals move? Use the printable cube template below to move like a pond animal.
• Do some animals move in more than one way? For example, on the cube, the duck waddles and flies.
• What is it about an animal that helps them move in a certain way? Is it their fins, wings, legs?
Move like a pond animal:
Print out and assemble this cube to move like a pond animal. Cut the image out along the outline. Make sure not to cut between the shapes. Fold the tabs, put glue on the tabs and fold into a cube.