Tots! Activity: The Moon
As Cheekwood’s Tots program is temporarily suspended, we are sharing today’s activity for parents and tots to activate at home. Use our files to create your own moon, then share your work with us by tagging @cheekwood on Instagram and using #cheekwoodtots!
Here’s what you’ll need:
• Black paper (or black paint)
• Star stickers (or paint)
1. On black paper, use star stickers or paint to add stars to make the night sky.
2. Crinkle a circle of aluminum foil and flatten it back out.
3. Choose a spot in your night sky and glue your foil moon down.
Try pairing the activity with one of these books:
Moon by Britta Teckentrup
Moon! Earth’s Best Friend by Stacy McAnulty and Stevie Lewis
I Took the Moon for a Walk by Carolyn Curtis and Alison Jay
Ask your explorer:
• Can you explain how you made your picture?
• Is the moon always in the sky? Can you see it during the day?
• What do you think the moon is made of? What do you think it would be like to go there?
For extra fun, make moon sand:
1. Start with 8 cups on flour and one cup of baby oil.
2. Mix ingredients together with a whisk or pastry cutter.