Tots! Activity: Telescopes
As Cheekwood’s Tots program is temporarily suspended, we are sharing today’s activity for parents and tots to activate at home. Use our files to create your own telescope, then share your work with us by tagging @cheekwood on Instagram and using #cheekwoodtots!
Here’s what you’ll need:
• Cardboard tubes
• Tissue paper
• Rubber band
1. Decorate your cardboard tube with paint, stickers, and markers. If you don’t have a longer tube, consider making binoculars with two smaller ones; glue or tape them together.
2. On one end of your telescope, use a rubber band to fix tissue paper or paper to your telescope.
3. Use a toothpick to poke holes in the paper to make constellations.
4. Look at the constellations you made through your telescope or use it to observe and find things!
Try pairing the activity with one of these books:
Good Day, Good Night by Margaret Wise Brown and Loren Long
Day and Night by Teddy Newton
Ask your explorer:
• What kind of things do you see through your telescope? Does it help you focus?
• Who do you think would use a telescope?
• Can you use your telescope to find something red? Play a search-and-find game using the telescope.