Tots! Activity: Paper Lines Collage
As Cheekwood’s Tots program is temporarily suspended, we are sharing today’s activity for parents and tots to activate at home. Use our files to create your own paper lines collage, then share your work with us by tagging @cheekwood on Instagram and using #cheekwoodtots!
Here’s what you’ll need:• Paper in a variety of colors
Directions:1. Cut and rip different kinds of lines to make strips of paper and shapes.
2. Have your Tot arrange their colorful lines onto a separate page and glue them down.
3. Encourage Tots to make several, maybe one is stripes and shapes overlapping while another is using their lines to create a picture.
Try pairing the activity with one of these books:
Swirl by Swirl Spirals in Nature by Joyce Sidman
The Line by Paula Bossio
Harold and the Purple Crayon by Crockett Johnson
Ask your artist: • Where can you find lines around you?
• What can you use lines to make?
• Describe your lines. Are they vertical, horizontal, squiggly, straight?
• Why did you put the lines down like that?