Tots! Activity: Shadow Paintings
As Cheekwood’s Tots program is temporarily suspended, we are sharing today’s activity for parents and tots to activate at home. Use our files to create your own shadow painting, then share your work with us by tagging @cheekwood on Instagram and using #cheekwoodtots!
Here’s what you’ll need:
• Painting paper
• Paint brush
• Black paint
• Wax paper
1. Paint a picture of shadows and silhouettes.
2. Take a piece of wax paper big enough to cover your painting and attach it to your paper by folding around the edges and taping it down to hold it in place.
3. Enjoy your shadowy painting!
Try pairing the activity with one of these books:
Nothing Sticks Like a Shadow by Ann Tompert
The Black Rabbit by Philippa Leathers
Ask your artist:
• Do you think everything has a shadow?
• How do you make a shadow?
• Can you make a shadow puppet show?