Tots! Activity: Stars
As Cheekwood’s Tots program is temporarily suspended, we are sharing today’s activity for parents and tots to activate at home. Use our files to create your stars, then share your work with us by tagging @cheekwood on Instagram and using #cheekwoodtots!
Here’s what you’ll need:
• Ziplock bag
• Star template or star stickers *See template below
1. Put blobs of different shades of blue paint on a piece of paper. You can also use other colors that remind you of space such as purple, metallic, and glitter.
2. Place paper in a Ziplock bag and seal. Allow tots to play and squish the paint all over the paper.
3. Remove painting from bag and place in a safe place to dry.
4. Add stars to the painting using the star template, paint, and stickers.
Try pairing the activity with one of these books:
How to Catch a Star by Oliver Jeffers
Stars by Mary Lyn Ray
Henry’s Stars by David Elliot
Ask your explorer:
• Why do you think we can’t see the stars during the day?
• Star pictures are called constellations, and they usually have stories behind them. Can you connect the stars on your painting to make your own pictures and stories?
• Have you ever gone stargazing? Do you want to go stargazing? Use the telescope you made last week!
• For more information on the stars you might see tonight, head on over to The Adventure Science Center website for the July star chart.