Tots! Activity: Spiders
As Cheekwood’s Tots program is temporarily suspended, we are sharing today’s activity for parents and tots to activate at home. Use our files to create your own spider, then share your work with us by tagging @cheekwood on Instagram and using #cheekwoodtots!
Here’s what you’ll need:
• Spider parts template *See template below
• Paint or markers
• Paint brush
1. Print out the spider part template. Cut out the pieces.
2. Cover a separate piece of paper in paint, using different colors and textures. Do more than one if you want! Let dry.
3. Find your favorite parts of your painting and place the spider parts on top. Trace the template, and cut out the pieces.
4. Put your spider together. Remember: spiders have 8 legs!
Try pairing the activity with one of these books:
The Very Busy Spider by Eric Carle
Diary of a Spider by Doreen Cronin
Pete the Cat and the Itsy Bitsy Spider by James Dean
Ask your artist:
• Why did you choose these spots of your painting?
• What do spiders make?
• Do you think spiders are insects? How are they different?
• How many legs does your spider have?