As Cheekwood’s Tots program is temporarily suspended, we are sharing today’s activity for parents and tots to activate at home. Use our files to create your own starry night inspired masterpiece, then share your work with us by tagging @cheekwood on Instagram and using #cheekwoodtots!
Here’s what you’ll need:• Blue Paper
• Black Paper
• Apple Core (and apple snack!)
• Yellow paint
Directions:1. Parent/guardian should cut up an apple so that the core is intact.
2. Dip the bottom of the apple core in yellow paint, and use as a stamp to create star shapes on the blue paper
3. Using the black paper, cut out some Van-Gogh inspired tree and building shapes.
4. Glue the shapes to the blue paper- It is okay to overlap!
5. Dip the Q-tip in the yellow paint and use it to dot yellow windows on the buildings.
Try pairing the activity with one of these books:
My Museum by Joanne Liu
We Are All Works of Art by Mark Sperring
Ask your artist: • Do things look different at night than they do during the daytime? How?
• Does this town look like a place you’ve been before?
• Can you describe the town you’ve made? What is it called? Who lives there? What season is it?
• How many stars do you see on your painting? How many windows?