Tots! Activity: Caterpillars
As Cheekwood’s Tots program is temporarily suspended, we are sharing today’s activity for parents and tots to activate at home. Use our files to create your own caterpillars, then share your work with us by tagging @cheekwood on Instagram and using #cheekwoodtots!
Here’s what you’ll need:
• Black Marker
• Pompoms, cotton ball, bottle cap, or use your fingers
1. Using a pompom, cotton ball or your finger, dip it in the paint. Stamp the paint in a line. The line can be curly, straight, zigzag, or any other way.
2. Using a different color paint, stamp one dot on one end to make the caterpillar’s head.
3. Let dry completely.
4. Draw a face on the head and some legs on the body.
Try pairing the activity with one of these books:
Caterpillar Dreams by Clive McFarland
The Amazing Life Cycle of Butterflies by Kay Barnham and Maddie Frost
The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle
Ask your explorer:
• What does a caterpillar become? How does it do that?
• What do you think caterpillars eat?
• Why are there different kinds of caterpillars?
• How many dots did you make for the caterpillars body?