Tots! Activity: Egg Carton Turtles
As Cheekwood’s Tots program is temporarily suspended, we are sharing today’s activity for parents and tots to activate at home. Use our files to create your own egg carton turtles, then share your work with us by tagging @cheekwood on Instagram and using #cheekwoodtots!
Here’s what you’ll need:
• Egg carton (paper egg carton will work best)
• Green, yellow and brown paint
• Paint brush
• Black marker
1. Cut paper egg carton into sections so that they look like shells.
2. Paint each section green to look like a turtle and let them dry.
3. Paint on yellow dots and squares for the shell. See how many different turtles you can make.
4. Once completely dry, use a black marker to draw on a face.
5. See how many you can stack without them falling!
Try pairing the activity with one of these books:
Yertle the Turtle by Dr. Seuss
Turtle Splash! Countdown at the Pond by Cathryn Falwell
Mossy by Jan Brett
The Box Turtle by Vanessa Roeder
Ask your explorer:
• What did we make our stacking turtles out of?
• What kind of designs did you put on your turtle shells? Why did you pick those designs?
• How many turtles can you stack? Count as you stack them.
• Are there other items at home that we can stack and count? Which items are easier to stack and why?
World Turtle Day is Saturday, May 23! Download our World Turtle Day coloring sheet below: