Tots! Activity: Pattern Sticks
As Cheekwood’s Tots program is temporarily suspended, we are sharing today’s activity for parents and tots to activate at home. Use our files to create your own pattern sticks, then share your work with us by tagging @cheekwood on Instagram and using #cheekwoodtots!
Here’s what you’ll need:• Found sticks
• White paint, various colors of paint
• Paint brushes
Directions:1. Go outside and find a stick that’s about an inch thick.
2. Using white paint, paint stripes on the stick. We did different sizes and left some of the natural stick showing, but you can paint as much or as little as you would like!
3. Let the paint dry.
4. Using bright colors, paint stripes over the white. You can do a pattern of colors or place them randomly. We left some white showing.
5. Let the paint dry.
6. Paint patterns on each block of color.
Try pairing the activity with one of these books:
Pattern Bugs by Trudy Harris and Anne Canevari Green
Elmer by David McKee
Ask your explorer: • How do you make a pattern?
• Can you find patterns in your home and garden?
• What kinds of patterns did you paint?