As Cheekwood’s Tots program is temporarily suspended, we are sharing today’s activity for parents and tots to activate at home. Use our files to create your own patterned crown, then share your work with us by tagging @cheekwood on Instagram and using #cheekwoodtots!
Here’s what you’ll need:• Patterned or colored paper
• Glue or stapler and staples
Directions:1. If making your own patterned paper, use markers and other drawing supplies to draw your design on a big piece of paper.
2. Take your scrapbook paper or patterned paper and flip it to the back side. Draw a zigzag with your pencil down the middle.
3. Cut along the zigzag line.
4. Attach the ends together.
5. Measure the paper to your tot’s head and attach the open ends so that they fit your tot.
Try pairing the activity with one of these books:
Bees, Snails, and Peacock Tails by Betsy Franco
Pitter Pattern by Joyce Hesselberth
Ask your artist: • A pattern is a repeating design. Can you tell me an example of a pattern?
• Can you describe the pattern on your crown?
• How did you design and make your crown? Why did you choose those colors? Why did you choose that pattern?