Tots! Activity: Rain Sticks
As Cheekwood’s Tots program is temporarily suspended, we are sharing today’s activity for parents and tots to activate at home. Use our files to create your own rain stick, then share your work with us by tagging @cheekwood on Instagram and using #cheekwoodtots!
Here’s what you’ll need:• Cardboard tubes
• Tape or glue
• Paint, decorative tape, other things for decorating
• Rice, beans, beads, buttons, etc.
Directions:1. Seal one side of your cardboard tube using paper and glue or tape.
2. Put rice, beans, pasta, extra buttons, beads, or whatever else you want to try into the tube, but do not fill the tube more than halfway. You can experiment with what you put in the cardboard tube to see the different noises you can make.
3. Seal the open end the same way as the first.
4. Decorate the outside using scraps of yarn, paint, decorative tape, and craft materials. Try to upcycle materials that may go unused.
Try pairing the activity with one of these books:
Because by Mo Willems
I Got the Rhythm by Connie Schofield-Morrison
Zin! Zin! Zin! A Violin by Lloyd Moss and Marjorie Priceman
Ask your artist: • What does your instrument sound like?
• Can you make the sound louder or softer? Can you make it quicker or slower? What did you do to change the sound?
• Can you think of another sound that you could make with your instrument?