Tots! Activity: Marvelous Mobiles
As Cheekwood’s Tots program is temporarily suspended, we are sharing today’s activity for parents and tots to activate at home. Use our files to create your own marvelous mobiles, then share your work with us by tagging @cheekwood on Instagram and using #cheekwoodtots!
Here’s what you’ll need:• String and fabric
• Small toys, lids
• Items you were going to throw away
• Stick, embroidery hoop, or coat hanger
Directions:1. Choose what the base of your mobile will be: coat hanger, stick, embroidery hoop, old basket, or whatever you have that you think will work.
2. Decorate lids, cardboard, and other pieces with paint and craft supplies. String beads or old pasta on string or scrap fabric.
3. Attach the upcycled pieces to stings, ribbons, and strips of fabric.
4. Attach the fabric to the base of your mobile. For motor skills, let Tots tie the fabric and string to the base. You can also glue it.
5. Hang it somewhere you can see your creation all the time!
Try pairing the activity with one of these books:
I Had a Favorite Dress by Boni Ashburn
Michael Recycle by Ellie Bethel
Not a Box by Antoinette Portis
Ask your artist: • What did you use to make your mobile? What were those things originally for?
• Can you think of other things that we throw away or recycle that we could use for our mobiles?