As Cheekwood’s Tots program is temporarily suspended, we are sharing today’s activity for parents and tots to activate at home. Use our files to create your own recycled clackers, then share your work with us by tagging @cheekwood on Instagram and using #cheekwoodtots!
Here’s what you’ll need:• Cardboard
• Bottle caps
• Paint, markers
Directions:1. Take a rectangle of cardboard and fold it in half.
2. Glue bottle caps or can tabs to either side so that they touch when the cardboard is folded.
3. Decorate with markers and paint.
Try pairing the activity with one of these books:
Music Class Today by David Weinstone
By the Light of the Moon by Frann Preston-Gannon
Meet the Orchestra by Ann Hayes
Ask your artist: • What did you use to make your instrument? What were these things used for before you used them to make an instrument?
• Can you make a song using what you made?
Make a band:You’ll need your rain stick from Tuesday, an empty tissue box, rubber bands, glue, and things to decorate.
1. Take your empty tissue box and decorate it.
2. Stretch the rubber bands around the box so that they go over the opening.
3. Secure the rubber bands in place with the glue.
4. Use all the instruments you’ve made to start a band!