Tots! Activity: Cupcake Liner Spiders
As Cheekwood’s Tots program is temporarily suspended, we are sharing today’s activity for parents and tots to activate at home. Use our files to create your own cupcake liner spiders, then share your work with us by tagging @cheekwood on Instagram and using #cheekwoodtots!
Here’s what you’ll need:
• Bright cupcake liners in big and small sizes
• Googly eyes (optional)
• Markers, crayons or colored pencils
• White paper or construction paper
1. Flatten cupcake liners.
2. Glue string onto the paper with the cupcake liner at the end so that it looks like your spider is hanging down
3. Wait for it to dry, or make sure not to touch and move the strings.
4. Add eyes and legs to your spiders! Remember: spiders have 8 eyes and legs!
Try pairing the activity with one of these books:
Walter’s Wonderful Web by Tim Hopgood
The Weaver by Qian Shi
Ask your explorer:
• Why do spiders make webs?
• Are spiders helpful in our garden or home?
• How long do you think spiders spend making their webs?
• Do you think spider webs feel like the string, or do you think it feels different?