Tots! Activity: Splatter Paintings
As Cheekwood’s Tots program is temporarily suspended, we are sharing today’s activity for parents and tots to activate at home. Use our files to create your own splatter painting, then share your work with us by tagging @cheekwood on Instagram and using #cheekwoodtots!
Here’s what you’ll need:
• Box or jar
• Bouncy ball or marble or bell
1. Cut down a piece of paper to fit in the box. Add little puddles of paint around the paper.
2. Place the ball, marble, bell, or anything that will spread the paint in the box. Try experimenting with different things for different sounds and to see if the splats are different.
3. Shake the box around so that the object rolls through and spreads the paint.
Try pairing the activity with one of these books:
Polar Bear, Polar Bear What Do You Hear? By Bill Martin Jr. and Eric Carle
Mr. Brown Can Moo, Can you? By Dr. Seuss
The Very Quiet Cricket by Eric Carle
Ask your artist:
• Did the different objects make different sounds? How did the objects spread the paint differently?
• Was it easy to control where the paint was spread to? Why?
• Did the paints make new colors when they met? What colors did you make?