Tots! Activity: Spice Paintings
As Cheekwood’s Tots program is temporarily suspended, we are sharing today’s activity for parents and tots to activate at home. Use our files to create your own spice painting, then share your work with us by tagging @cheekwood on Instagram and using #cheekwoodtots!
Here’s what you’ll need:• White paint
• Variety of ground spices (turmeric, paprika, cinnamon, ground mustard, coffee, etc.)
• Thick paper
• Small cups to mix paints
• Paint brushes
Directions:1. In several small bowls, mix spices and white paint together. Add more white paint a little at a time until you get your desired consistency. You can always add more spices or paint at any time to adjust.
2. Use the paints you have made to make a painting that smells great!
3. Optional: Brew and steep coffee or black tea to make watercolor paints. Use a tea with hibiscus to get a red color!
Try pairing the activity with one of these books:
Tea Rex by Molly Idle
Something Smells by Blake Liliane Hellman
Big Smelly Bear by Britta Teckentrup
Ask your artist: • How did we create our scented paint?
• Which scent is your favorite?
• What does each scent make you think of when you smell it? (Cinnamon makes me think of apple pie, etc.)