Tots! Activity: Reuse Fairy Houses
As Cheekwood’s Tots program is temporarily suspended, we are sharing today’s activity for parents and tots to activate at home. Use our files to create your own fairy house, then share your work with us by tagging @cheekwood on Instagram and using #cheekwoodtots!
Here’s what you’ll need:
• Acrylic paint
• Empty plastic bottle
1. Cut the top off of the plastic bottle.
2. Cut out a door, and cut slits in the top piece, which will become the roof.
3. Paint the pieces. It may take two coats. You can use the rectangle or arc from cutting out the door to make a chimney if you want to!
4. Once dry, place the top on what used to be the bottom of the bottle. Use hot glue to make it stay better if it isn’t staying.
5. Place your new fairy house in your garden.
Try pairing the activity with one of these books:
What Do You Do with an Idea? By Kobi Yamada
Don’t Throw That Away! By Lara Bergen
Backyard Fairies by Pheobe Wahl
Ask your artist:
• Why did you design your fairy house this way? Did you try to make it look natural? Did you want people (fairies) to be able to tell it is made out of recycled materials?
• Why do you think reusing things is important?
• Where do you want to put your fairy house?