Tots! Activity: Feathered Friends
As Cheekwood’s Tots program is temporarily suspended, we are sharing today’s activity for parents and tots to activate at home. Use our files to create your own feathered friend, then share your work with us by tagging @cheekwood on Instagram and using #cheekwoodtots!
Here’s what you’ll need:• Owl parts template *See template below
• Yellow construction paper
• Paint in various colors
• Sponges for painting
• Glue stick
Directions:1. Print out the owl parts template onto cardstock and cut out the pieces.
2. Trace the beak and two wings onto construction paper and cut out. Use the cardstock template body and eyes.
3. Dip your sponge into the paint and stamp it all over the owl’s body. Set aside and let dry. Optional: Try using a celery stalk instead of a sponge to create a more feathered look!
4. Once your owl is dry, assemble it by gluing the parts together.
Try pairing the activity with one of these books:
Little Owl’s Day by Divya Srinivasan
Owl Moon by Jane Yolen
The Barn Owls by Tony Johnston
Ask your explorer: • What do feathers do for birds?
• What kind of home do owls and other birds live in? How do they make their nests?
• Have you ever seen or heard an owl? What time of day was it?