Public Guided Tours
Cheekwood offers public tours of the gardens and Historic Mansion & Museum to individuals and families as part of general admission. Guided tours are interactive, discussion based, and last 45 minutes to one hour.
Historic Mansion & Museum tours, which are limited to 20 participants, can be reserved on a first-come, first-served basis in the mansion each day. Registered participants will be given a wristband to wear during the tour.
Garden tours are not limited in number, but early arrival is encouraged. All tours are subject to volunteer docent availability.
Guided Walk-Up Tours
House and History Walk-up Tour
Tours meet outside the main entrance to the Historic Mansion & Museum. In case of inclement weather, tours will begin in the Entrance Hall of the Historic Mansion & Museum.
*Tours are not offered on Memorial Day, Labor Day, July 4th and Easter. Additional tours will be available during festivals.
Let Cheekwood transport your group to another time and place. With 55-acres of majestic botanical gardens, world-class art exhibitions, and the historic Cheek family home, there is something for everyone to enjoy. Group rates are available for 15 or more guests with complimentary admission for the driver and group leader.
In accordance with the return to Phase 2 on July 3, 2020, and following Mayor John Cooper’s Roadmap for Reopening, field trips are not currently available.
Engage students in art, history, and botanical gardens with a field trip to Cheekwood. Cheekwood offers FREE ADMISSION to all school groups from Tennessee, Kentucky, and Alabama.
Students in grades pre-K-12 can explore the botanical gardens, experience the Historic Mansion & Museum, and tour art exhibitions in the art galleries. Guided tours are grade level- and subject area-appropriate and are aligned with Tennessee Academic Standards.
- • Tours are available Tuesday – Friday, 9:00 am – 5:00 pm.
- • Beginning August 2020, Cheekwood will only book home school groups on Wednesdays.
- • The minimum group size for scheduling field trips is 15 students. Groups smaller than 15 students must pay regular admission prices.
- • The maximum group size for guided tours is 80 students, and 120 for self-guided tours. Larger groups will be asked to schedule their tours on separate dates.
- • Students and teachers are admitted free of charge. Adult chaperones (non-school employees) are required to pay the group rate of $16/person.
- • Each guided tour lasts between 30 minutes to one hour. Self-guided tours are self-paced and can take anywhere from 30 minutes to two hours.
- • Advanced reservations are required for all guided and self-guided tours.
- • Teachers may be asked to present their teacher ID upon arrival.
- • Guided tour availability is limited. Please note that this is a tour request, and is not a guarantee or confirmation of visit. Requests for guided tours must be made a minimum of three weeks in advance.
- • Cheekwood reserves the right to cancel guided tours in the case of rain and/or inclement weather.
- • Cancelled tours will be notified one day in advance of the scheduled tour date and will be given the opportunity to reschedule.
- • Due to construction, we currently do not have the capacity to host field trip groups indoors. If you fear rain may interfere with your group’s outdoor experience, please contact Nathalie to reschedule.
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.
Free school tours are made possible, in part, by funds raised through Cheekwood’s annual FALL FOR CHEEKWOOD Family Benefit and